Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melina367

5 Year Member
Does Spring Mix have all the nutrients and vitamins my baby sulcata tortoise needs? Please and Thank you! :tort: :)
- Melina

M

Maggie Cummings

No, Spring Mix is good as a base, but then you should add collards, endive, escarole, radicchio, green and red leaf lettuces. Any stuff that is available from the produce section in your grocery store. You need a varied diet. Get Acorn squash and soften it in the microwave and use that as a nightly treat. Cactus is another good treat. Grape and mulberry leafs are good too. Dandelions are best. Some of what I mentioned means you'll need to scour your neighborhood. Rose of Sharon blooms is another. Here's a link to a site that lists the best diet...

http://africantortoise.com/

I couldn't copy the link like I wanted to, but you can google it by what I gave you. Go to that site and it will give you an excellent

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Maggie, although spring mix has a lot of good stuff in it, you will need to add other items to give your tortoise a well balance diet..

Ryan M

5 Year Member
Bountiful, Utah
The spring mix that I feed my sulcata has the following ingredients:

Organic baby lettuces (red and green romaine, red and green oak leaf, lollo rosa, tango), organic red and green chard, organic mizuna, organic arugula, organic frisée, organic radicchio.

I have been feeding her only that for about 10 months and she seems to be doing great.
I hope that has been a good enough diet for her. :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is better than the average Spring Mix, but you might branch out a bit as Maggie suggested. Get one additional green per week that is not in the Spring mix; like mustard greens, kale, escarole, endive. Give that in addition to the Spring mix, then switch to a new one the following week. That way you won't waste it. Sometimes you can eat some of the greens yourself.
In the warm months, you can forage outside for the dandelion, grape and mulberry leaves, rose of sharon, etc.
Some of our members sell Opuntia Cactus that is rooted and can be planted in a pot to grow for your tort.
Cook some Acorn squash for both of you as well!
Over the years, variety is really important for healthy growth.

Melina367

5 Year Member
Ryan M said:
The spring mix that I feed my sulcata has the following ingredients:

Organic baby lettuces (red and green romaine, red and green oak leaf, lollo rosa, tango), organic red and green chard, organic mizuna, organic arugula, organic frisée, organic radicchio.

I have been feeding her only that for about 10 months and she seems to be doing great.
I hope that has been a good enough diet for her. :(
Well if it has all those varied foods and veggies and you have been feeding it that for 10 months and its doing great than keep feeding it that as long as its living and if its active then its healthy looks like a balanced diet to me but i dont know. haha

turtletania

5 Year Member
is there anyone who /anywhere that has pictures of OK greens for Sulcatas.... most greens here are called by local names (Borneo). If i have pictures I will know what else I can feed Dixie.

Status
Not open for further replies.