Diet variety

landon

5 Year Member
I usually feed her Belgian endive, kale, baby boc Choy, escarole, swish chard, collard greens, and nappa cabbage. I want to add some more diversity to her food but don't know what else to add. Anyone who has any ideas on what else I could add would be much appreciated. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Do you have the ability to grow your own garden or are you just looking for grocery-store ideas?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Grocery stores vary quite a bit in what they offer. Here are some ideas -

Arugula (aka Eruca sativa/salad rocket/roquette/rucola/ rugula/colewort)
Turnip Greens (aka /Brassica rapa/turnip tops)
Prickley Pear Cactus Pads (aka Oputunia Cactus/Nopales/Paddle Cactus)
Grape Leaf
Clover Sprouts
Alfalfa Sprouts (aka lucerne)
Mustard Greens
Cat Grass (aka Dactylis/ ****'s-foot/Orchard Grass)
Wheat Grass
Dandelion
Salad mixes - such as spring mix, herb mix, rocket mix, five happiness

If you wanted to be adventurous and try your hand at growing, Tortoisesupply.com and carolinapetsupply.com sell seed mixes specially mixed for tortoises.

landon

5 Year Member
Thank you so much I will give growing my own a try! I want to give my tortoise as much variety as possible, and whatever it takes in willing to try. Thanks again :) would there be any vegetables that would be good? Such as broccoli carrots etc.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Carrots are good, as are brocoli, squash & zuccini in moderation. You can also throw in some fruits and flowes on occasion, such as strawberries & hibiscus for added variety.

Eddy...

Leeds, UK
I am also going to get a Marginated tortoise and I guess I will be in the same position as landon sooner or later :) I have already planned out growing my own dandelions, but this won't be a reliable food supply, so I will also have to resort to what is available from supermarkets in the UK (I'm from Leeds). I want to provide a variety for my tortoise (when I get it) however I am being very cautious and doing my research first. I know that in general dark, leafy greens are the best - but some of the salad mixes may have things that are hazardous to tortoises.
I have posted a link to the 'salads' section on Asda's website; which of these would you recommend buying for when I get my tortoise? I know that I should also keep a handful of Timothy Hay in their too. :)
Asda Link: http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#!shelf/910000976506