Marginated diet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

landon

5 Year Member
I've been feeding her a mix of collard greens, kale, endive, dandelion greens,Swiss chard, Escarole, napa cabbage, and the supplement powder at every other feeding. I also feed small amounts of carrots and fruits. What could I be doing to give her everything she needs? Thank you
Landon

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i would cut back on the fruits (i never feed my torts fruit). cabbage is also only to be fed once in a blue moon, and carrots the same. other than that, the wide variety youre offering is perfect. good job.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It sounds like you're off to a good start, although I agree, I would cut back on carrots and fruits. I never feed fruits, and I only give 1 baby carrot 1x per month for the vitamin A.

If you have access to someone's weedy yard, or an un-sprayed field, I would challenge you to expand your tortoise's diet with some weeds. I've found the best way to do it is to go out looking for a specific plant, rather than bringing home a bunch of different weeds and then trying to figure out if it's safe or not. Dandelions are healthy, thistle, plantain weed and hens and chicks are edible.
There is a good list of edible plants here: as well as here: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/...p://www.russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Variety is key: a tortoise will only get the nutrients it needs by eating lots of different kinds of plants. 'wild' plants are generally more nutritious than store-bought ones. A lot of beautiful landscape plants are also edible: sedum, daylily (not regular lilies - they are poisonous), sunflower, hibiscus, raspberry leaves, echinacea, phlox... to name a few.

landon said:
I've been feeding her a mix of collard greens, kale, endive, dandelion greens,Swiss chard, Escarole, napa cabbage, and the supplement powder at every other feeding. I also feed small amounts of carrots and fruits. What could I be doing to give her everything she needs? Thank you
Landon

Status
Not open for further replies.