Diet Questions for Simon

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So I live in the mid-atlantic region, and right now the grass that is growing isn't plentiful by any stretch do the cold and snow and rain we have been getting. I have Simon (for those of you that don't know he is my 2 month old baby leopard tortoise) who is paradalis babcocki, eating a mixture of greens including kale, collard greens, mustard greens, radicchio and also the occasional bits of carrots and mazuri every other day. He eats ravenously which is great for me to see, and he is very active and curious, constantly exploring his habitat. What I am wondering is if what I am feeding him is sufficient for now, or do I really need to grow my own/go out and pick some grass and weeds to include in his meals. Oh, also I have some opuntia pads coming in soon which I will feed occasionally. Thanks guys!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
The greens mix sounds good. Add escarole and endive if you can find it. Some stores will carry dandelion greens too.. Carrots should be fed rarely if ever. Too much sugar. Grass and weeds should make up the majority of the diet when possible. I do grow grass and weeds for my babies to add to the greens in the winter.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
The greens mix sounds good. Add escarole and endive if you can find it. Some stores will carry dandelion greens too.. Carrots should be fed rarely if ever. Too much sugar. Grass and weeds should make up the majority of the diet when possible. I do grow grass and weeds for my babies to add to the greens in the winter.
Okay thanks! Would not having the grass and weeds right now be dangerous for them? I will be able to find them outside soon, but can they get sick from not having them in the winter?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Although not optimal, no. I didn't find this forum until my first guy was almost 4 and I fed mostly spring mix and veggies. He is ok. I kept him dry too, so he has some pyramiding. Are you providing UVB? Sprinkle a small amount of calcium on his food 2X per week. They typically don't like it so small amount and mix in well.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Although not optimal, no. I didn't find this forum until my first guy was almost 4 and I fed mostly spring mix and veggies. He is ok. I kept him dry too, so he has some pyramiding. Are you providing UVB? Sprinkle a small amount of calcium on his food 2X per week. They typically don't like it so small amount and mix in well.
Yes I have a mercury vapor bulb, as well as a CHE. Okay, I was adding calcium every day, but I an definitely reduce it. I did notice that he avoids the food with calcium for as long as he can until he is to hungry to take it. I also noticed that he is not very fond of the mazuri. He seems to eat most of it, but today i made a pile of greens and a pile of Mazuri and he only ate the pile of greens (from what I saw). Is that normal?

Is there a weed and grass mix somewhere? I think I heard someone mention on here before.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Yes tortoise supply has several mixes, so does Carolina Pet supply, but some have had issues with them lately. You can get pasture mixes too at farm stores. Mine took a while to warm up to Mazuri,but eat it real good now.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Okay which mix from tortoise supply would be best? There is the testudo and the african mix?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Either or both. I think they might be out of the African. The testudo does not have grass, but I grow it and it is really good for them.