Day three with Simon & Garfunkel...a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Traverse City, MI
Ok, so Simon & Garfunkel have been in my care for 3 days now. Simon was hatched back in Aug 2010, and weighed 52 grams upon arrival and has already gained 5 grams, weighing in at 57 grams today. Garfunkel arrived at 80 grams and is now at 87 grams, a 7 gram increase. Does that sound normal? I don't want them to grow too fast and end up with deformed shells.

Another question....Garfunkel had his first poop today (since he arrived here), but Simon has yet to poop. Should I be concerned about Simon not pooping yet? He is eating really well.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
As far as the weight - I doubt they really gained that much. Most of it will be from drinking and eating since you got them. If you weighed them on arrival that would have been an "empty" weight and to get an accurate idea of how much they have grown, you would have to weight them "empty" each time. By that I mean after withholding food and water for 24 hours.

Simon may have pooped - and eaten it. It is completely normal. I would not panic yet.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Kristina, the first day I weighed them after both had soaked, and eaten so they were not really empty. I have a digital gram scale and have weighed them at the same time of day and had the scale on the same flat surface.

As for Simon possibly eating his poop ..... ewwwwwww. Please don't be a poop eater Simon !!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
All tortoises are poop eaters ;) You are just going to have to get used to it. :D

I still wouldn't overly worry at the moment about the weights.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Also Garfunkel could be heavier because he ate Simon's poop. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.