Did I just get ripped off by the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Sorry if someone already said it and I missed it, but tapeworm, if that's what it is, doesn't show up in a fecal and they do not lay eggs in the intestinal tract. Pretty messed up about the receipt. Do they not at least have it on record?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I agree with Laura. Looks like a round worm to me. Tape worms come off in little white 'tags' (looks kinda like small rice) rather than in long pink sections. Round worms look like the pic you posted (or a blurry round worm would look like the pic you posted, haha).

A vet would (should) treat roundworms, pinworms, hookworms and most other worms with fenbendazole (which comes branded as panacur or safeguard).
Tapeworms are treated with Praziquantel, but dosage is more complicated than fenbendazole, and potentially more harmful.

I would ask the vet for 2 doses of fenbendazole (dosed by tortoise weight), taken 11 days apart. You should then see the worms being expelled (they often aren't all dead when they are excreted, but they do die from the treatment). If the vet refuses, PM me.

Laura said:
doesn't look like a tape worm to me.. looks like a Round worm.. different drugs to treat it.. Picture is worth a 10000 words...

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ShervyBaby said:
EricIvins said:
Personally, I think you should do some research about Parasitology before you go assuming anything. That way you don't go into this will pre-conceived notions like you did on the first visit........You didn't get ripped off. Properly diagnosing any kind of internal parasites takes 30-60 days of constant Fecals every other day or so.......Not just one or two here and there.......

ahh ok. thanks for the info!

Erica, The normal new member with one tortoise has probably never heard the word Parasitology. Maybe it would help if you didnt talk down to people

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
bigred said:
ShervyBaby said:
EricIvins said:
Personally, I think you should do some research about Parasitology before you go assuming anything. That way you don't go into this will pre-conceived notions like you did on the first visit........You didn't get ripped off. Properly diagnosing any kind of internal parasites takes 30-60 days of constant Fecals every other day or so.......Not just one or two here and there.......

ahh ok. thanks for the info!

Erica, The normal new member with one tortoise has probably never heard the word Parasitology. Maybe it would help if you didnt talk down to people

thanks

SulcataSquirt said:
John- You know... "Know your role, and shut your mouth." -The Rock. hahaha

LOL

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
i would try a different vet. the whole reciept thing doesnt add up. even if the vet didnt find anything in the sample it sounds fishy not to give a reciept

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
When the vet looks at a stool sample under the microscope he's looking for parasite EGGS. It is entirely possible that there were no visible eggs in the sample he looked at.

This is true. Also many Vets have a computer system. If you go back just ask for an itemized receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.