Did I just get ripped off by the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland/DC
Ok so last week I posted this picture of my Niko's poop. In it you can see that it looks like he has some sort of worm (I think tape worm) Most everyones responses on this website told me the same thing. So I took a sample of his poop to the vet last week. They just called me and told me that his results were negative. How is this possible? This is not the first time I have seen this come out of him, it is probably the third time in 4-5 months. When I

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
Ok so last week I posted this picture of my Niko's poop. In it you can see that it looks like he has some sort of worm (I think tape worm) Most everyones responses on this website told me the same thing. So I took a sample of his poop to the vet last week. They just called me and told me that his results were negative. How is this possible? This is not the first time I have seen this come out of him, it is probably the third time in 4-5 months. When I dropped off the sample at the vet they were also not able to give me a receipt for my payment. Did I just get ripped off by the vet? Below is the vet that I dropped the sample off at, this vet is listed on this website as well.

Dr. Jason Ornstein
Dr. Ginny Smith
Montgomery Village Veterinary Center
9144 Rothbury Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20886
Tel: (301) 368-3444
Tel: (240) 683-8387
Fax: (301) 519-2344

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Unfortunately seems to me like you might have been, I would try a different Vet and see if you get the same result.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
ShervyBaby said:
Ok so last week I posted this picture of my Niko's poop. In it you can see that it looks like he has some sort of worm (I think tape worm) Most everyones responses on this website told me the same thing. So I took a sample of his poop to the vet last week. They just called me and told me that his results were negative. How is this possible? This is not the first time I have seen this come out of him, it is probably the third time in 4-5 months. When I dropped off the sample at the vet they were also not able to give me a receipt for my payment. Did I just get ripped off by the vet? Below is the vet that I dropped the sample off at, this vet is listed on this website as well.

Dr. Jason Ornstein
Dr. Ginny Smith
Montgomery Village Veterinary Center
9144 Rothbury Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20886
Tel: (301) 368-3444
Tel: (240) 683-8387
Fax: (301) 519-2344

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 143

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Examining poop for parasites is not 100% accurate. It's possible for a poop sample to be free of eggs and worms even if your tort is infected. This would result in a negative test. Did you show the picture of the infected sample with the worm to the vet? That picture should be enough to get them to re-check the sample or test a new sample at no charge. Alternately, they can still treat for worms even if the test came back negative.

If the vet refuses to treat for parasites, try taking another sample to a different vet and get a second opinion.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
mctlong said:
Examining poop for parasites is not 100% accurate. It's possible for a poop sample to be free of eggs and worms even if your tort is infected. This would result in a negative test. Did you show the picture of the infected sample with the worm to the vet? That picture should be enough to get them to re-check the sample or test a new sample at no charge. Alternately, they can still treat for worms even if the test came back negative.

If the vet refuses to treat for parasites, try taking another sample to a different vet and get a second opinion.

I did not show her the picture of his poop which I now regret. But honestly based on the fact that they didn't even give me a receipt I feel like they robbed me. On a side note I did get their info from this website on the vet list so maybe it should be removed so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

rusticreptiles

5 Year Member
Getting a false negative can happen as mentioned above. It depends on where the parasite is in its cycle if its shedding or producing eggs.
Not getting a receipt is weird though. You should have gotten an itemized receipt explaining all charges and services.
If this vet is a recommended vet you may just show the pic and ask for treatment. I've never heard of a vet refusing to deworm an animal.
Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
rusticreptiles said:
Getting a false negative can happen as mentioned above. It depends on where the parasite is in its cycle if its shedding or producing eggs.
Not getting a receipt is weird though. You should have gotten an itemized receipt explaining all charges and services.
If this vet is a recommended vet you may just show the pic and ask for treatment. I've never heard of a vet refusing to deworm an animal.
Good luck!

I second this. This time, demand a receipt and never leave without one again. Even if they hand write and sign one.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Go back and show them the picture and tell them you need something to get rid of the worms. If they say no then start talking to the other customers in the lobby about what happend. That will get some attention

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When the vet looks at a stool sample under the microscope he's looking for parasite EGGS. It is entirely possible that there were no visible eggs in the sample he looked at.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
bigred said:
Go back and show them the picture and tell them you need something to get rid of the worms. If they say no then start talking to the other customers in the lobby about what happend. That will get some attention

I agree!

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Did you ask for a receipt? I would doubt they would refuse to give you one if you asked? You should speak to the vet about your concerns.... see what they say, before you jump to conclusions and moan about them on here. Tell them what you saw in the faeces and show them the pic...vets aren't psychic, they can't know these things if you don't tell them!!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
luvpetz27 said:
bigred said:

I agree!

show him the picture, im sure things will change. see what happens, i would. lets us know. good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The picture is blurry and small. Is that a worm or an undigested stem? Was it moving?

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
johnreuk said:
Did you ask for a receipt? I would doubt they would refuse to give you one if you asked? You should speak to the vet about your concerns.... see what they say, before you jump to conclusions and moan about them on here. Tell them what you saw in the faeces and show them the pic...vets aren't psychic, they can't know these things if you don't tell them!!

Did you read what I wrote? I did show a receipt. I am not moaning about anyone, know your role.

Tom said:
The picture is blurry and small. Is that a worm or an undigested stem? Was it moving?

Hi Tom. It was not a stem as it was moving. Thanks for asking

emysemys said:
When the vet looks at a stool sample under the microscope he's looking for parasite EGGS. It is entirely possible that there were no visible eggs in the sample he looked at.

I will go tomorrow and show them the picture, thanks!

bigred said:

I like that idea! Thanks bigred!!!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Personally, I think you should do some research about Parasitology before you go assuming anything. That way you don't go into this will pre-conceived notions like you did on the first visit........You didn't get ripped off. Properly diagnosing any kind of internal parasites takes 30-60 days of constant Fecals every other day or so.......Not just one or two here and there.......

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
EricIvins said:
Personally, I think you should do some research about Parasitology before you go assuming anything. That way you don't go into this will pre-conceived notions like you did on the first visit........You didn't get ripped off. Properly diagnosing any kind of internal parasites takes 30-60 days of constant Fecals every other day or so.......Not just one or two here and there.......

ahh ok. thanks for the info!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Now you learned a lesson on what you need to do when you visit a vet. Above all, always share what you know (pictures) and/or what you think. As a general rule, I even do this when I see a doctor. I'll even challenge my doctor if I don't.agree with him. Vet are only human; they're not gods.:p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
doesn't look like a tape worm to me.. looks like a Round worm.. different drugs to treat it.. Picture is worth a 10000 words...

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
I'm sorry if you took offence to my comment. But you stated "I feel like they robbed me", and you were also questioning whether the vet should be removed from the recommendation on this website.... which is maybe a little hasty, Hopefully you take all the very good advice given by others, and maybe you'll feel differently about the vets once you have a chat with them.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'know your role' either
But I hope you have settled everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.