Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
When dealing with species like Geochelone platynota or Geochelone pardalis pardalis, how much time and what temp is necessary for diapause? My Gpp breeder friend just leaves them in the ground, but I want to know for the possibility of "artificial" incubation.

I've heard 55 degrees F for one month, but is there any benefit to waiting longer or going cooler or warmer? Should there be any temp fluctuation, other than the slow climb at the end?

Any one have a good brand of cooler they could recommend? Anyone ever tried one of those "wine" fridges?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
t_mclellan said:
I think I know your answer, But have you spoken with Fife?

No sir, I have not. Should I put in a call to him? To my knowledge neither Richard or Jerry are currently working with either of the above species.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have no idea on those species, but I have had great luck with Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides. I warm them for 5 weeks (84F). I then cool them to 65-70F for 8 weeks. They then go back in the incubator for the duration. This has worked very well for me.

Tim

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tim/Robin said:
I have no idea on those species, but I have had great luck with Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides. I warm them for 5 weeks (84F). I then cool them to 65-70F for 8 weeks. They then go back in the incubator for the duration. This has worked very well for me.

Tim

Now that is golden information. Thank you for sharing. What made you think of this? Did you have trouble incubating successfully before this?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I must admit, I did not come up with the times or temps. It is after talking with several successful keepers. I did try cooling for 5 weeks, and did not have the same results, they needed longer time cooling. Otherwise, I have always used this method. I place the cooling eggs on dry vermiculite in a styro cooler in my cool basement. It has worked very well.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I know what diapause is and know its helpful when incubating bird eggs but how is it helpful in the incubation of tortoise eggs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some species from some parts of the world need a cooling period to simulate the seasons they would experience in the wild. With out this cooling period the embryos will not develop inside the egg. Some of the mantids have this same thing.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
You learn something new everyday in our hobby, never knew some tortoises needed diapause. Thanks Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.