Desert UVB Slimline for Russian -

kierstar3

5 Year Member
tort_4.jpgOk i purchased a Desert 50 UVB Slimline for tort and have been keeping it on top of her enclosure for about 5 - 8 hours daily. Is that too much? Too little?
Between this and her basking light does she need anything else as far as heat/health/light??
- Kierstin

Last edited by a moderator:

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have a PowerSun for basking area, and I also use the Desert 50 slimline for lighting/UVB at other end of enclosure (size is 3 ft X 5 ft, so the extra lighting is needed in mine). I actually leave both lights on for 10 to 12 hours a day. My Russian pretty much lets me know when he's heading to bed for the night.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The less time you leave the light on, the more likely your tort will try to hibernate. Tom suggests leaving them on 14 hours a day to simulate natural summer days if you do not wish for your Russian to go into hibernation.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I as well have always suggested leaving UVB lights on 14 hours in the winter to prevent hibernation if that is your goal. And a slight rise in night temps.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, keep basking and UV light on at least 12 hours, if not 14.

You have all the basics now. Have you thought about adding another 50gal Rubbermaid and connecting them? :D

enclosure.jpg

I'd have a second regular bulb on the second side, and also keep the lid on the 'bridge' to prevent escapes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenncure

5 Year Member
My older MVB actually had a warning on it not to leave it on for more than 8 hours straight. I now have a zoo med MVB, but my husband is afraid to leave it on for too long, due to the warning on the older one. Has anyone else run into this? Is there any fire hazard?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've never used MVB's. I don't like them. I use heat bulbs for heat and fluorescent UVB tubes for UVB.

But your original question was not about an MVB??

Ryongsyong

5 Year Member
Jenncure said:
My older MVB actually had a warning on it not to leave it on for more than 8 hours straight. I now have a zoo med MVB, but my husband is afraid to leave it on for too long, due to the warning on the older one. Has anyone else run into this? Is there any fire hazard?

The Exo Terra one we have says it will automatically switch itself off if it gets too hot. It hasn't ever done that though, and we have it on for more than twelve hours a day.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
MVB bulbs will not put out any UV after about 3 months. I've tested a few different bulbs. You are better off using a separate florescent UV bulb like a ZOOmed T5HO that has been more consistent and a separate heat source like a 100W flood light for basking.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Glancing at your picture I've noticed that your water bowl is one of the types that most experienced keepers do not approve of due to the flip and drown possibility. Most keepers on this forum like the shallow terra cotta planter bases. 6" to 8" round and about 1" deep.

As suggested above more space would be ideal for a Russian; they do like to roam.

Good luck.