Delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I am in Florida visiting my Dad and he has the cactus pads my Russians love to eat. I want to bring some back home with me to Minnesota can you freeze them?

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
My understanding is that in order to freeze them, they have to be chopped and par boiled first. Nothing says you couldn't try it.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
No don't freeze them. This creates condensation and moistens the cactus causing it to spoil quickly. Keep it dry and it will keep for months. Simply box it up and leave it outside, unless you live where its humid then it'll probably be best to bring it indoors.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
minnesota is pretty dry depending on the time of year, i lived in north dakota for several years. instead of putting it outside you can leave it in the garage or basement for a while. it should be fine. however i would take them out of the box or leave the box open due to closed in containers make the natural chemicals in plants to ripen too quickly and causes them to decompose faster. id keep an eye on them as you would any fruit to prevent it from spoiling the rest of them

redbeef

5 Year Member
why not try to root them in pots and grow them in Minnesota? They'd probably be OK as long as you took them inside every winter before it froze. And you'd be able to replenish your supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.