Delicious Succulents for Desert Tortoises

BladeShark

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I have four desert tortoises that I inherited. They apparently ate mostly Kale and lawn grass prior to the adoption.. I'm trying to broaden their diet by growing different desert seed blends. I would also like to plant some succulents but am a bit overwhelmed at all the choices available. Any tips on ones that the tortoises find most delicious? I live in central California so the climate is excellent for growing them.

2018-05-02 13.27.10.jpg

Gabriel Luna

Monterrey, Mexico
I don't know if any of the species in the pic are food for desert tortoises, but they like Prickly pear a lot, is what they eat in the wild. I just buy some pads at the super market and thrown them in the floor. Some times I just cut some pads from my prickly pear tree and do the same thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aloe, ice plant, red apple (the ground cover), jade plant, many types of spineless opuntia, organ pipe cactus. Many of the sedum types are good, but some are toxic, so do your research.

Many of the ones in your picture are toxic.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Too pretty and expensive...............:D

BladeShark

Fresno, CA
Thanks Everyone! Great info, I appreciate it. I'll also continue to research to make sure I don't pick up anything toxic.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
This looks like a typical nursery flat of South African succulents. Maybe you could plant a Mojave desert seed mix instead.