Yellow foot help

Tadd Mccray

I have an adult female yellow foot tortoise I bought several months ago. When I first got her, she was great, moving around and eating great. However for the past couple of weeks she has stopped eating, doesn't move, and doesn't drink. I have soaked her for long periods of time, and have even had to start force feeding her food. No she just sits there mouth agape. She still reacts to external stimuli but she does not move willingle except for if I tough her legs. What should I do? Should I continue force feeding her. There isn't a vet around with tortoise knowledge at all I've checked.

Tadd Mccray

She is inside the house at night. Right now Temps are just about perfect so she spends a lot of time outside. Temp inside the room stays at 80 degrees. Humidifier keeps it around 70 to 80 percent hunidity.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Bumping her up to 85F and above 80% relative humidity could help, but I'm honestly not sure here. She's an adult, so was she wild caught? Do you know how long she's been in captivity if she wasn't captive breed? Where are you located - someone here may be able to find you a vet.

What have you tried diet wise? What are you force feeding right now? Are you tracking her weight?

Tadd Mccray

I tried that. I put here in a plastic tub with sphagnum moss and a heat lamp. I am force feeding her baby food right now (vegetables) she was wild caught. We live near texarkana texas. There was one vet here that has helped reptiles at all and she only helped a ball python once upon a time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The "Mouth Agape" part sounds troubling.
Like she had overheated or was poisoned, stung or bitten by something?
Can you provide photos? maybe we could spot something helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds to me as if she may have a respiratory infection. I think you should take the tortoise to the vet.

Kasia

Poland
Just an idea, check for parasites as well since he was wild caught.
Anorexia is a common symptom of parasites. Do a fecal exam - you can give a sample even to a dog/cat vet. If the parasite load is large they won't have a problem to diagnose it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
You can send a fecal sample into a vet or lab for testing if there isn't a vet nearby.