defacating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemondog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
indio ca.
Hi, I have an 8 year old 45 lb, male sulacata. I live in Indio,ca. hot,hot,hot !!! but he seems to like it. When he deificates it is at the bottom of his borrow and every day he digs the feces out to the burm
with out digging his borrow any deeper (well maybe a little) it is 10 long and about 4-5 ft. deep. I hope he is done digging. My question is , is this normal or do I have an exceptionally clean tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 39

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: deficating habits

Okay so that is really funny....I don't know if that is the "norm" or not, but funny.

We cared for a RES for awhile once, and that crazy thing would catch the feeder fish (not eat them) walk them out to the top of his basking spot, lay them down and leave them there (never would go back to eat them) and continue this until he had all of them out of his water....so silly....so I can't say what is "norm" LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: deficating habits

Hi Glen:

Tortoises usually poop and pee in their burrow. I think the fact that yours is digging the poop out is only coincidence. He's expanding the burrow and the poop just happens to come up with the dirt he's digging.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My Sulcata does that as well, I bought a small rake with a long handle and every few days I try and get out as much as I can. Also I havent seen any poop outside of his burrow in weeks..

sahdjb

5 Year Member
St. Petersburg, FL
I just have to laugh at the RES's fishing habits! Too funny! Our RES's are a hoot to watch when they "fish" but never have any of them done such a thing!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with yvonne but I surely wished all mine cleaned up after themselves LOL.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I bought a dog poop a scooper about a month ago and only used it once. I wished mine would poop outside his burrow so I can feel good about buying the thing...:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.