Darker shell

I have a desert tortoise that has been living inside with the proper lighting same as my other 3 I used to keep indoors which are now outside for over a year now. Well my newest one is 10x darker then the others. Just wandering why it would be different? Is it just different pigmentation from their mom's?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The sun does tend to lighten them over time, but there could also be a genetic component. There are different "types" of DTs, as far as how they appear.

They have also divided them into two species now, with a third recently named species from down in Mexico.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we see pictures of them?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Please post pictures asap.

I have them in this tank just to carry them from the bathroom after a bath soak to there housing so don't be alarmed haha.

1460167883097.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And sorry everyone I wasn't able to respond quickly. Please let me know what you guys think? I don't remember my other 3 every getting this dark, then again my other 3 have been outside so maybe they got lighter

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
My CA desert tortoise Ned has a darker shell and he acts just fine i have noticed that with him being outside since he was a baby its gotten brighter. hope this helps.:)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am fascinated by the different colors. I think I read once that the darker ones are from areas that are of higher altitude and colder, to be able to stay warmer. It would nice to some day test our CDTs and know exactly from whence they originated in the southwest. The shapes too with all our desert tortoises, some boxy, some round, some rather pear shaped. Who? What? Where? Inquiring minds just wanna know, you know?