Dark Spots on Carapace Scutes of CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortiemama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced dark spots in the lightest part of your CDT's carapace scutes? I asked her vet, and he couldn't really say. He asked around if other vets in his office had ever seen anything like it, but all said no. He didn't seem concerned at all being that she gets checked out before and after every hibernation and is otherwise very healthy. Maybe just odd pigmentation? Please check out the photo I snapped of her during her first soak of 2013 : )

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 98

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
tortiemama said:
Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced dark spots in the lightest part of your CDT's carapace scutes? I asked her vet, and he couldn't really say. He asked around if other vets in his office had ever seen anything like it, but all said no. He didn't seem concerned at all being that she gets checked out before and after every hibernation and is otherwise very healthy. Maybe just odd pigmentation? Please check out the photo I snapped of her during her first soak of 2013 : )

Mine has those type of markings. I wouldn't worry about them.

Mona Turner

5 Year Member
Arnold_rules said:
tortiemama said:

Hello - after having our Tortoises for 8 years. One of them now has those exact same spots. I noticed them for the first time after they woke up this year. I have been searching on-line and you are the first to mention them. I was really worried at first, but she is other wise perfectly healthy. I can send a pic if you like. They look just like the spots you have. I wonder what they are? I have been watching over her like a hawk to make sure she is healthy. She seems just fine.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Wow. What a seriously lovely picture series that was. Tortoise number ABNQ is beeeeautiful. Swoon.
Thanks for sharing Angela/ascott. I love tort butts and I cannot lie, LOL!
The dark pigments in the middle of the scutes like that, I wonder, are they specific to certain CDT from particular areas?
Do both agassizii and morafkai have this? Or is this type of pigment something for one or the other? Or from a certain locale?
If anyone should know, please educate us.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
wow! love seeing animals in their natural habitat, it just warms my heart to know how happy they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.