Center of scutes white yearling redfoot

Jschmid33

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsn
hey guys I have my lovely redfoot who is just a little over a year old. In the center of her scutes when her shell is dry has almost like hard water spots. New growth is nice and dark. She acts normall like a young tortoise does. In her hide, out every now and then to raise body temp, healthy eater, goes into her water dish, climbs on her cork wood every now and then. I just want to make sure all is good. Her shell when young used to always be this light and her new growth is so much darker and really beautiful. I did move a while back from a place with harder water. It doesn’t look like shell rot but always good to get second opinions! Picture of her shell dry attached.

Attachments

• 9C6B6A54-79BA-4C47-8018-1ECC8EC6E8D7.jpeg
    9C6B6A54-79BA-4C47-8018-1ECC8EC6E8D7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looks like previous hard water marks to me. It's too uniform with the older(1st) growth to be she'll rot or for it to be membrane burn from in the egg.

Jschmid33

Wisconsn
Looks like previous hard water marks to me. It's too uniform with the older(1st) growth to be she'll rot or for it to be membrane burn from in the egg.
Thats what I thought but wanted to be sure thank you! Any advice on getting it off? Its not a big deal but if I can remove some of it I will without hurting my tort

Jschmid33

Wisconsn
Warm white vinegar and water solution will take it off. Dab w a q-tip or something so you don’t get it in the eyes.
I tried the white vinegar mix with no real results. 50/50 mix? Tortise is shy as most yearlings are but doing well just would like to have a nice dark dry shell if possible. If not I’m not to worried

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
I tried the white vinegar mix with no real results. 50/50 mix? Tortise is shy as most yearlings are but doing well just would like to have a nice dark dry shell if possible. If not I’m not to worried

Bump up th vinegar. You can’t hurt anything if you keep it out of the face. It may just take time....