Dandilions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Sorry if i sound stupid! But spring/summer here in the Uk we get lots of dandilions! As its summer though mum mows the lawn and wont save me a patch becuase it looks scruffy! So how do i grow dandilions? Do i:

Get the fluffy dandilion seeds and blow them on top of some soil in a plant pot & leave them... Or do i plant the seeds?

Crush loves his dandys in summer/spring xxx

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dandelion seeds are the little black part on the fluffy pieces You can simply collect the fluffy pieces and then let them dry for a day or so,the seeds separates from the fluffy part and they are easier to plant. For me anyways they grow quite good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For me anyways they grow quite good.

Some people just have to show off..... :D:p

lol....no matter what I do....my success rate, well, sucks...:D I figure that if I keep putting the seeds out they will eventually take....I do have a few plants that showed up ...so we will have to see....I bet if I had a yard of beautiful manicured turf---I would instantly have a million of the dandelion plants thriving....lol :p:p

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
For me anyways they grow quite good.

Some people just have to show off..... :D:p

lol....no matter what I do....my success rate, well, sucks...:D I figure that if I keep putting the seeds out they will eventually take....I do have a few plants that showed up ...so we will have to see....I bet if I had a yard of beautiful manicured turf---I would instantly have a million of the dandelion plants thriving....lol :p:p

I have a pretty good patch of Dandilions, I might just have to post a pic to show you. With no effort from me

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
I have a pretty good patch of Dandilions, I might just have to post a pic to show you. With no effort from me

Awww....see here....meanie :p:p:p:p:p Anyone else....lol :rolleyes:

Im out front every morning with my torn old slippers and my gray sweat shorts looking like I just woke up-- Yes It really is a sight for sore eyes:( Neighbors probably wonder why I only pick a few weeds. Then its out back for fresh kale, collard, hibiscus,lettuce and to check on the torts. Its pretty kool to pick fresh stuff for your torts.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Neighbors probably wonder why I only pick a few weeds.

Now, that is funny.... in the summer time the front porch concrete is so nice and cool..... if I have the old man CDT out and taking him for a walk around the open part of the property he will suddenly realize he is getting hot and will book it to the porch and will hop up onto the shaded concrete and plop and spread eagle and cool down...I have been known to agree with his lounging choice and lay out on the cool concrete....I am still waiting to see if any of the neighbors will come to check on me to see if I fell out and died on the porch....lol...not yet happened :p:p

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Neighbors probably wonder why I only pick a few weeds.

Now, that is funny.... in the summer time the front porch concrete is so nice and cool..... if I have the old man CDT out and taking him for a walk around the open part of the property he will suddenly realize he is getting hot and will book it to the porch and will hop up onto the shaded concrete and plop and spread eagle and cool down...I have been known to agree with his lounging choice and lay out on the cool concrete....I am still waiting to see if any of the neighbors will come to check on me to see if I fell out and died on the porch....lol...not yet happened :p:p

Have you ever bred cdt - I grew up with so many in my back yard

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Mesa, Arizona
RE: Dandelions!

I live in Arizona and have the same question. I have a healthy patch that grows underneath my AZ ash tree in my font yard, but my wife has had it with the way the front yard looks (like weeds have overtaken the grass).

So, for all of you desert dwelling members like myself, when is the best time to plant dandelion seeds?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I get the 'blowey things' get scissors cut the little seed of the fluffy ting (usually a failed attempt) .....but i have had...success...
I think i have abit of a black thumb but when growing things indoors...things pop up that i dont even plant like in the enclosures...I must be good! ;)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I've had success just putting the seeds (white bit included - we're all so technical here) on the surface of soil.
The first time wasn't intentional. I fed Emrys a yellow dandelion, and by the next day it had gone white and he'd stomped all over it so I just left the seeds to sit.
After that I replicated it deliberately, but unfortunately too close to cleaning day. I tried transplanting the shoots when I cleaned Emrys out, but they didn't survive the move. I plan to do it again this year, properly.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I don't have a green thumb :'( I probably couldn't even grow a weed. I (though not all my fault) killed a 10th old bonsai tree once :O omg now u guys know my dirty little secret. I'm ashamed :'(

DanaLachney said:
I don't have a green thumb :'( I probably couldn't even grow a weed. I (though not all my fault) killed a 10th old bonsai tree once :O omg now u guys know my dirty little secret. I'm ashamed :'(

10yr old.* stupid auto correct...

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
DanaLachney said:

DanaLachney said:

10yr old.* stupid auto correct...

I am USELESS with plants in any other environment, but they thrive under the MVB in Emrys' enclosure. I'm creating jungles, and I'm the kind of person who only kept cacti before because they were the only plant I could keep alive longer than a few days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're very careful and don't disturb too much of the root system, you can dig up some of the plants and plant them where its not as offensive to your mum. Like in a pot out of her sight.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
It is really awesome to pick fresh stuff for your torts, me and my boyfriend grow our own veggies for ourselves and Ted, and we love it :3 he eats when we do and so on haha but yeah, its a really nice feeling =]

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
IRTehDuckie said:
It is really awesome to pick fresh stuff for your torts, me and my boyfriend grow our own veggies for ourselves and Ted, and we love it :3 he eats when we do and so on haha but yeah, its a really nice feeling =]

Meh, I'm not a leafy-salady person...

But, people did call me a geek when they discovered that, when cat-sitting for a friend, I'd match her cat's meals up with whatever I was having that day...

People think I'm weird, out there in the outside world, but you all understand. :D

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
RE: Dandelions!

chosen2030 said:
I live in Arizona and have the same question. I have a healthy patch that grows underneath my AZ ash tree in my font yard, but my wife has had it with the way the front yard looks (like weeds have overtaken the grass).

So, for all of you desert dwelling members like myself, when is the best time to plant dandelion seeds?

When your wife isn't looking.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.