Dandelions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
So i know the torts are supposed to love dandelions and there are a ton growing outside my building but again i am concerned about pesticides. Can i pick the wild ones and wash them off or is that not good enough?

erica anne

5 Year Member
It is my understanding that you have to wait at least six weeks from the time a plant (or grass etc.) is fertilized before it is safe to eat.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I definitely wouldn't chance it! No public grass/weeds is my rule of thumb...even if its not chemical-treated, you never know what people spill/drop on the ground

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I just picked a few from a piece of public land, away from any edges or spray areas and gave a good wash. There were a ton of good ones at the edges but wouldn't risk those. If you know they haven't been sprayed then I think it's ok to pick things from out with your garden and wash them.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Be super sure that it is an area not sprayed at all. Round-Up for example can stay residual in the soil even if it was sprayed years before, despite what anyone, including our government (USDA) department-bought-by-Monsanto says. It is nasty stuff and should not even be made available to the public but it makes people sick and maybe that's the point. Oh-oh. Better stop myself here because it is an issue I have huge issue with.

You could always do a little guerrilla weed picking and uproot some and bring them home and replant in an area of untainted for sure soil, or take some seeds. Your home, safe.

Two methods to remove pesticides and microbes: Add one tablespoon of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide (available online or in health food stores) or 1/8 cup of white vinegar to a sink half-filled with water. Soak for 5-15 minutes and rinse with fresh water. Soak produce with thin peels and leafy vegetables a shorter time and thicker vegetables, such as carrots, longer. Oh, and always do this right before use.

Status
Not open for further replies.