dandelions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
so today i stopped by my local organic greens grocery store to get some stuff for my little dude, and found out that they sell weeds... dandelions!!! are they the same as what they eat in the wild? did not know humans can consume a dandelion! so yay or nay? i thought that was pretty amazing considering i do not have a yard yet.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
They have them in the local supermarkets here in NY too. I've never bought them b/c I can just go outside and pick them... not bragging! ;) They look exactly the same as the ones in my yard so I'd imagine they are. I would just wash them b/c ya never know if they've been sprayed w/something. Yup people eat them too. I've heard of them being in salads, soups, used as a vegetable side dish, and I've even heard of them being used to make wine.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
AnthonyC said:
They have them in the local supermarkets here in NY too. I've never bought them b/c I can just go outside and pick them... not bragging! ;) They look exactly the same as the ones in my yard so I'd imagine they are. I would just wash them b/c ya never know if they've been sprayed w/something. Yup people eat them too. I've heard of them being in salads, soups, used as a vegetable side dish, and I've even heard of them being used to make wine.

i wish i could just go pick them! but i live in an apartment temporarily and they spray here... and at the parks they spray as well :/ but hey! its only 25 cents for half a pound!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
They sell dandelion here at Natural Grocers, too. I've given it to my tortoises, and they like it pretty well. I've put it in salads for us humans, and although it's good for some variety, it is also rather bitter. As for dandelion growing outside, they seem very similar, although I noticed the one in the supermarket has red stems, whereas the one outside has green stems. However, I've seen larger dandelions outside with red stems, too, so it might just be a function of the plant's maturity, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, my tortoises do eat dandelion, but it's not their favorite. They seem to like lettuce best, followed by mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens, and collard greens.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
GeoTerraTestudo said:
They sell dandelion here at Natural Grocers, too. I've given it to my tortoises, and they like it pretty well. I've put it in salads for us humans, and although it's good for some variety, it is also rather bitter. As for dandelion growing outside, they seem very similar, although I noticed the one in the supermarket has red stems, whereas the one outside has green stems. However, I've seen larger dandelions outside with red stems, too, so it might just be a function of the plant's maturity, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, my tortoises do eat dandelion, but it's not their favorite. They seem to like lettuce best, followed by mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens, and collard greens.

yes my russian loves romaine, red and green leaf, mustards, kale, collards and so on. i have never given him dandelions before and they did not stand a chance! they lasted a total of 3 seconds! he loves them!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
chase thorn said:
yes my russian loves romaine, red and green leaf, mustards, kale, collards and so on. i have never given him dandelions before and they did not stand a chance! they lasted a total of 3 seconds! he loves them!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention kale. My guys like it pretty well, but sometimes they don't seem to want it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Mine loves dandelions. I get them at the grocery store too. Wish they sold them in smaller pkgs.

M

Maggie Cummings

They are a regular item in a varied diet that I feed all my tortoises. I walk around my neighborhood here in Oregon as we are a green state and most Oregonians don't spray poison. I've been doing that for almost 6 years now and none of my tortoises have gotten sick from them. We have a lot of dandelions here and I collect them regularly. Good source of vitamins and calcium...

Status
Not open for further replies.