Damp during hibernation

KTP

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
Hello
I've got two 88 year old spur thighed tortoises which I've had for 6 years and inherited from my grandad.

I've successfully hibernated them every year until now despite the same routine. They've been in hibernation less than four weeks but the tortoise sand that I buy is especially damp smelling and the cardbox box feels damp, which has never happened before. I don't beleive they've urinated but am worried that this could cause breathing difficulties. I've removed the soil from underneath them and put them back in the boxes with the soil in jars to had moisture to the air, but wondering if I should just take them out of hibernation altogether? I've always used this brand of substrate throughout the year but wonder if they've changed the mixture

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you dod a search you'll find lots of information on hibernating torts.
meanwhile maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can help.

Reactions: KTP

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've hibernated them from totally dry to damp and everything in between and have yet to have a problem. I tend to go very lightly damp nowadays.

I wouldn't take them out of hibernation yet. Just put them on a suitable very lightly damp substrate and leave them in the cold area where you've got them.

They should never be on sand. We've learned a lot about tortoise care in the last decade. Some things have changed. Check this out for the current care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

KTP

Plymouth
I've hibernated them from totally dry to damp and everything in between and have yet to have a problem. I tend to go very lightly damp nowadays.

I wouldn't take them out of hibernation yet. Just put them on a suitable very lightly damp substrate and leave them in the cold area where you've got them.

They should never be on sand. We've learned a lot about tortoise care in the last decade. Some things have changed. Check this out for the current care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
It's described as sand but is soil, but I will check out the article thank you.

KTP

Plymouth
If you dod a search you'll find lots of information on hibernating torts.
meanwhile maybe @Tom or @Yvonne G can help.
Thank you i've been googling before joining this site, but only found generic information about hot to hibernate but not the issues associated with dampness

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you i've been googling before joining this site, but only found generic information about hot to hibernate but not the issues associated with dampness
Sorry I should have said use the search facility on this forum.
There is so much old and unsafe information still circulating on the internet and in old books so forget about Google and stick to the advice on this forum. It has many members who are very experienced keepers and some have been involved in research to improve tort lives. Everyone is only here for the benefit of the torts so you won't find better help anywhere else.
My tort isn't a hibernating species so I can't help you there but I don't think the use of sand is recommended anymore.
The threads about hibernating will advise you on what to use to keep your tort safe. The US members who know about this will be along soon.

KTP

Plymouth
Sorry I should have said use the search facility on this forum.
There is so much old and unsafe information still circulating on the internet and in old books so forget about Google and stick to the advice on this forum. It has many members who are very experienced keepers and some have been involved in research to improve tort lives. Everyone is only here for the benefit of the torts so you won't find better help anywhere else.
My tort isn't a hibernating species so I can't help you there but I don't think the use of sand is recommended anymore.
The threads about hibernating will advise you on what to use to keep your tort safe. The US members who know about this will be along soon.
Ah I see thank you.