When to start hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hi

I have 2 6yr old spur thighed (TGG). I only got them this year so I haven't gone through a hibernation with them yet. They have previously been hibernated though. I'm in the UK & the temps have already dropped down to between 50-60f max.

I have a good idea of the wind down to hibernation, I just don't know when I'm supposed to start.

Also I'd like to hear people's preferences on box or fridge hibernation.
Thank you :)

sshewett

5 Year Member
esiotrot said:
Hi

I have 2 6yr old spur thighed (TGG). I only got them this year so I haven't gone through a hibernation with them yet. They have previously been hibernated though. I'm in the UK & the temps have already dropped down to between 50-60f max.

I have a good idea of the wind down to hibernation, I just don't know when I'm supposed to start.

Also I'd like to hear people's preferences on box or fridge hibernation.
Thank you :)

Hi my tortoise is 45 yrs at least I believe it to be a tag as well but old lol he lives outside and has always hibernated in a box a hay in my grandads downstairs loo lol goes in when first frost hits then wakes mid march. It's worked so far so I'm not gonna change his habit. I'm in uk as well hope that helps

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Choose the easiest way: let them start hibernation, then recover them and place them in the fridge when solid freeze in forecast.

BUT, BEWARE!!!!

If they are Ibera, no problem doing as above, and keeping for 4-5 months, but if they are really Graeca, you may get confused... some forms/subspecies in colder locations (mountains) hibernate, while others, like Nabeulensis, do not really... and ALL Graeca are intolerant to humidity. French keepers hibernate Graecas max. 4 months- for the most robust of the ssp.

So, first be very sure about ID!

Check the link in my signature- you can do that too, even having a whole month at 10-15*C, no light, no heat, in a box with shredded papers etc.; this month can be chosen a little before winter solstice. Gradual decrease light/heat before that month, and also gradual increase after, but much shorter- 3-5 days to normal regime.

Can you find details about their hibernations at the previous owner? That would be the best thing to do- repeating what was proven.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Can you find details about their hibernations at the previous owner? That would be the best thing to do- repeating what was proven.

I second this...can absolutely make huge difference in a successful brumation from start to finish...

HOWEVER, if you have not had this tort for at least an entire year (full four seasons) I would not suggest brumating the tort...and not to worry---if the tort skips a year of brumation in order for you to get use to one another----then no harm done....you have not had him long enough to know what his "normal" is, this is important in order for you to know if something begins to go wrong with the tort...In my opinion anyways...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.