Daily and weekly routine

Lindseyc123

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
Hi, so we’re new owner of a redfoot tortoise and I’m looking for a basic routine for daily as well as weekly-
Like when do you feed them? How much do they sleep? Outside time? Indoor time, etc?
I’d appreciate any tips, thank you ?

0A62742A-3577-46CA-AF83-EE361E3543D3.jpeg6E5F6F22-070A-4B45-B9CF-DC09D5E4D378.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Depends on the season really. Summer when it's warm enough to go outside I put mine out when I leave for work in the morning and bring him in at sundown. They stay in their indoor enclosures for the winter. I usually feed them one time in the morning after I wake up. You'll find your tort is will be most active outside during the cooler times of the day. They'll spend the majority of the day hiding out in some shade.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, here's a care sheet for you to read.
Depends on the season really. Summer when it's warm enough to go outside I put mine out when I leave for work in the morning and bring him in at sundown. They stay in their indoor enclosures for the winter. I usually feed them one time in the morning after I wake up. You'll find your tort is will be most active outside during the cooler times of the day. They'll spend the majority of the day hiding out in some shade.
In looking at the pen, Personally, if that were mine, wouldn't it be heavily planted and moist? Also too small for that tortoise?
to the OP, please don't think I am tearing your habitat apart...I am learning about this species, and just asking Toddrickfl1 what I need to do in Oregon...you will have fun with this tort, they are very personable

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree the pen is rather small for that size RF tortoise. Also there should be quite a few plants in there to offer a lot of shade from the sun. Also, this species of tortoise isn't a big grass eater, so you'd be better off with a lot of leaf litter on the ground. Redfoot originate from South America where the climate is generally very warm and humid. They are mainly found in open forest, savanna areas, and at Rainforest edge.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

In looking at the pen, Personally, if that were mine, wouldn't it be heavily planted and moist? Also too small for that tortoise?
to the OP, please don't think I am tearing your habitat apart...I am learning about this species, and just asking Toddrickfl1 what I need to do in Oregon...you will have fun with this tort, they are very personable
Yes I would heavily plant your pen. It's pretty humid where I live but if I lived in a dryer climate like you two I'd rig up some sort of timed sprinkler system over the pen. This is my outdoor enclosureScreenshot_20210301-220604~2.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, so we’re new owner of a redfoot tortoise and I’m looking for a basic routine for daily as well as weekly-
Like when do you feed them? How much do they sleep? Outside time? Indoor time, etc?
I’d appreciate any tips, thank you ?

In the morning I place enough food in the enclosure to last all day. This way the tortoise can eat some now, go away then come back later and eat some more.

Tortoises don't necessarily "sleep", but they sit in a sheltered area throughout the day and do nothing. The come out in the a.m. and forage for food, then rest, then forage some more, then rest, and at the end of the day they find their night time shelter and stay in all night.

If the weather is warm day and night, they can stay outside all summer, day and night. ONce the weather starts to cool you';ll need to bring him in at night, then when it gets to be winter, he'll have to be in 24/7 until it warms up again.

Here's the link to the care sheet that Maggie forgot to give you:

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA

Yes, they seem so sweet and friendly. Since I’m new to this, the pen is just a start and pretty simple , hopefully I can add on to it over time.

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
In the morning I place enough food in the enclosure to last all day. This way the tortoise can eat some now, go away then come back later and eat some more.

Tortoises don't necessarily "sleep", but they sit in a sheltered area throughout the day and do nothing. The come out in the a.m. and forage for food, then rest, then forage some more, then rest, and at the end of the day they find their night time shelter and stay in all night.

If the weather is warm day and night, they can stay outside all summer, day and night. ONce the weather starts to cool you';ll need to bring him in at night, then when it gets to be winter, he'll have to be in 24/7 until it warms up again.

Here's the link to the care sheet that Maggie forgot to give you:

This is so helpful. Thank you!

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
Thank you, yes that’s helpful.