Baby Sulcata Daily Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
Hi All,

Since I am a new Sulcata Mom I have a lot of questions. Petrie is 6 months old and from a pet store (I didn't know better till now) right now I am just winging it with a routine.

He is living in doors at the moment but I take him outside daily. He is so small I don't feel comfortable with him out all the time.

I would like to know what you all do as a routine for lights on time, feeding, soaking, outside time and bedtime. I work very well on a routine and this is so confusing to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sarah
Central NY

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
pinkpirate said:
Hi All,

Since I am a new Sulcata Mom I have a lot of questions. Petrie is 6 months old and from a pet store (I didn't know better till now) right now I am just winging it with a routine.

He is living in doors at the moment but I take him outside daily. He is so small I don't feel comfortable with him out all the time.

I would like to know what you all do as a routine for lights on time, feeding, soaking, outside time and bedtime. I work very well on a routine and this is so confusing to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sarah
Central NY

UVB light and basking spot in the day and just a heat emitter at night so its dark for them to sleep. Thats what I do for my radiated torts

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Varies per Person, but just read up as much as you can in Our Sulcata threads, tom and many other members have great care sheets and info, as well as personal experiences :)
I would go with the humidity way to raise your little guy, baby torts get dehydrated fast therefor you wanna soak it in lukewarm water
often and leave water out daily, also feeding a great varied diet is key.
You can feed, dark grocery greens, kale, spring mix, cactus, hibsiucs, rose pedals,grasses , tort graze seeds, mazuri, weeds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you click on the two links in my signature, you will find lots of detailed explanation of how I think it ought to be done.

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
I know that I'm new here, but I also like routine for my 1 month old. on nice days I do the following: in the morning he goes outside for 30-60 min of sun. we then come in and he takes a warm 15-30 min soak while I prepare his breakfast. I then put him in his cage to eat and then he takes a nap. then he goes back later in the day and eats more food, I then take him outside and put him in his outdoor enclosure. when it's dinner time, I bring him in for another soak (15-30 min) to replace any fluids he lost due to the sun. while he soaks, I make his dinner and nightly munchies. he then goes back in his indoor cage for the night. I actually went to petco and got a timer for his UVB light so it is on for 12hrs off for 12 hrs.

HankC13

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hi PP! My Butters just turned one and she's out around 10-11am until 10pm. I feed her and soak once I put her outside. Her pen has netting on top so its safe. When she was younger we would take her outside and sit with her outside for an hour but the I learned from this forum it should be as much sun as possible. By 6 months though we were leaving her outside by herself. Once shes inside in her indoor enclosure she gets heat, water and cuttlebone at all times.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Turn on Rodneys uv and heat lamps 6:00 am. Put 6 nuggets of zoomed grasslands tortoise food and a big handful of spring mix.with a sprinkle of calcium. From 6 to 5 pm he's on his own. When I'm home he mostly sleeps comes out to eat and that's all. At 5 I feed him again. The same minus the calcium (rod don't like the calcium) with a little variety Collard greens roses dandelions habiscus and clovers are readily available in my yard. I block his hide so he can't sneak back in cause his hide is his safe place and he love s the waiting game. If he sees I'm keeping an eye on him he sits in the doorway forever. I think he knows. Lol then he gets his daily lukewarm soak. Then he is usually really active so I take him outside for a couple of hours or if it to cold ( I live in Indiana ) I put all different kinds of goodies on bowl lids in curtain spots in my living room and kitchen. He always goes for any flowers first. The last week it been in the low 70° so he's been an indoor tort. Then when he starts trying to hide I put him back in his enclosure and shut his uv and day heat lamp off at 8 or 9 depending on how active he is. Sometimes 10 pm. Lol then I turn his night heat lamp on and do it all over again the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.