Dad and Daughter

Aaron Reynolds

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
My 11 year old daughter, Abbi, has been wanting a pet of her own for some time. She's a bit timid around animals (doesn't even like collecting eggs from our chickens) and wanted something mellow and not aggressive to call her own. She's been faithfully taking care of our dog to prove that she's ready for her own animal, and saving up her money for a tortoise.

I've been reading a lot on these forums and am already grateful to have stumbled onto this site! Hopefully she (we!) will be able to avoid some newbie mistakes.

One question, Abbi loves building "fairy houses" and would like to put some in the tortoise's enclosure for decorations. Are tortoises known for biting/chewing pretty much anything that finds it's way into their home?

As soon as she has a tortoise I'll make sure to add pictures!

Alaskamike

South Florida
One caution. They will bite chew anything that even remotely might be food. Anything bright colors ( could be a flier ) sparkly is out too.

They also will push things around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welome.

Tortoises in general will sample bite just about anything, but they are particularly attracted to bright colors. Especially red, yellow and orange. As long as the items in questions can't be broken easily, and the tortoise can't bite pieces off, it will probably be okay.

My daughter will be 11 in a few weeks and she likes the fairy houses too. Most of hers are made of clay or other hard things that the tortoise can't bite piece off of.

Give it a try and see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Aaron! (and daughter!)