Cypress Mulch: Bake or Freeze?

djblank

5 Year Member
I just bought some cypress mulch for my indoor Box Turtle enclosures. To prevent bugs Should I Freeze or bake it? Also How long should it be frozen to kill the bugs/eggs? If baked how long and at what temperature?

Thanks for the tips!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Freezing in a regular freezer doesn't necessarily kill or sterilize. Between the two, I think baking is the better option.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those bugs don't come from the mulch. They come from the surrounding area and simply inhabit the mulch that you have so considerately laid out for them. No matter what you do with the mulch they will eventually show up and make a home in it.

These bugs are harmless detrivores. I just ignore them. If you really don't like them, you can bake, boil, or replace your substrate every two weeks or so.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you feel the need to do away with bugs, just put the bag of mulch in a black plastic bag and set it in the hot sun off the ground for several days and do a slow cook of any creatures that may be in there. This wont prevent bugs but will kill what is in the mulch at this time. Some unwanted bugs can survive freezing.

Sarah_Marie

I have baked my mulch before. I did it at 200•F for 20-30 minutes. I placed a thin layer on a baking sheet, baked them, and then transferred them to my kitchen sink full of water to let them cool and rehydrate. I had little mites (non parasitic grain mites of some type) previously and I wondered if they may make my tortoises itchy if they decided to investigate the girls. I have not had any mites since. It's my peace of mind.