Cuttlebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemiss

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I just had a question about giving my RF a cuttlebone to chew on, and I was hoping someone here could help. Im just wondering, how do they know to bite it? I mean, its not like they encounter them in the wild, so is it something they can smell? Not really an important issue, Im just curious.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
artemiss said:
Hi everyone, I just had a question about giving my RF a cuttlebone to chew on, and I was hoping someone here could help. Im just wondering, how do they know to bite it? I mean, its not like they encounter them in the wild, so is it something they can smell? Not really an important issue, Im just curious.

They know how and when to consume it, if you offer it.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
my tortoise did not show interest to the "cuttlebone" at first but a couple of days after she began to nudge it and taste is now....SHE LOVES IT!
To get her interested at first i put it in her food bowl so she knew she could eat it and it was Edible............ :D
BTW IM A 13YRS OLD BOY FROM BLACKBURN,LANCASHIRE,UK

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
artemiss said:
I think it's mainly because it is white and they tend to try all things white. Think of it tho, most forms of calcium in the wild is white...eggs, bones, ect..,

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
They may ignore it for months or years...my little guy hasn't taken more than two bites of his in the 2 years I've had him, but I give him calcium (when he was tiny, daily, and now, every other day). Agree with Jacqui with the white thing. A tort will even eat dirt with mineral specs in it if they feel they need calcium. If it has a hard and a soft side, put the soft side up.

moswen

5 Year Member
i'm sure that calcium in and of itself has a certain smell; just because they don't encounter a nice, somewhat smooth, oval shaped, powdered and packed plate of bones from a cuttle fish, it doesn't mean that they don't know it's calcium... i've only seen my babies nibble at it less than a handful of times, but they weekly stop, sniff, nudge, and move on. have no fear, your tort knows what it is and knows when he/she needs it!

artemiss

5 Year Member
Good point about white meaning calcium. I thought it might have a certain smell that people cant detect, but I didnt consider finding bones in the wild. I put it in his pen today and once he saw it, he chewed on it for about 20 minutes, took 4 BIG bites out of it.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Everyother time i feed her i grate (with a cheesegrater) the cuttlefish which comes out almost as dust and then sprinkle it on her food it is much cheaper than buying the tubs for like £5.25 at our local petshops,reptile shopsw and corner pet shops......
BTW IM A 13YRS OLD BOY FROM BLACKBURN,LANCASHIRE,UK

Status
Not open for further replies.