Cuttlebone issue freaked out Benito

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn , NY
So I put piece of cuttlebone in Benito's enclosure the other day and he began ramming into it and drinking from both water dishes that I placed it between. He then kept pushing at it to the point his shell was white and began sleeping where I had put it. He has been acting strange i.e. not eating and staying in that spot so of course I removed it. It's been a day and he stills seems off ....could me introducing the cuttle shocked or startled him? Or scared him and he needs a few days to calm down? Any input cause im really worried.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have not had this problem, but I do recall other folks saying things along these lines happened with them. I would take it out for awhile and let him relax. Then either try it again at a later date or just do something else like a dish with the powder. There is really no need to do something that seems to freak him so much.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Wow, I have never heard of that before, interesting to hear what he does the next time though!

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Mind you he is only 5 months old and seems very dominant, finicky and fussy about certain things and easily annoyed...it's as if he thought the cuttlebone was a live creature so he fought it , then showed it that the bowls of water were his by drinking from both and then moved it and slept in that spot and would not move from there til i decided to take it out and give him a warm bath to calm him which didn't work. Hoping he is more relaxed and himself Tomm cause I was up all last night feeling guilty and worried over it

Jacqui said:
I have not had this problem, but I do recall other folks saying things along these lines happened with them. I would take it out for awhile and let him relax. Then either try it again at a later date or just do something else like a dish with the powder. There is really no need to do something that seems to freak him so much.

Yea I def don't plan on putting back anytime soon or ever I hope he's ok and get over it..he just was doing great and drastically changed so I'm really scared

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
GeoGpp1012 said:
Mind you he is only 5 months old and seems very dominant, finicky and fussy about certain things and easily annoyed...it's as if he thought the cuttlebone was a live creature so he fought it , then showed it that the bowls of water were his by drinking from both and then moved it and slept in that spot and would not move from there til i decided to take it out and give him a warm bath to calm him which didn't work. Hoping he is more relaxed and himself Tomm cause I was up all last night feeling guilty and worried over it

Jacqui said:

Yea I def don't plan on putting back anytime soon or ever I hope he's ok and get over it..he just was doing great and drastically changed so I'm really scared

If he's never seen one before he wouldn't know what the heck it is. So you could be right in him thinking it was an animal... especially because they kinda look like shells..... He might have thought it was invading his territory and wanted to prove to it he owned the place. He should calm down though now its gone. Any improvements in his temperament?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Wow, I'd never heard of a tortoise getting agressively territorial toward a cuttlebone. Good thing it was just a cuttlebone and not another tortoise.

Hows he doing now that its gone?

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
He seems to be doing better and isn't freaking out about that spot...he actually did eat a little today but not a lot and is still a little out of it...I'm assuming from the stress and energy exerted on the cuttlebone. He would just ram into it over and over and everything else I stated above...he did sleep in his hide but didn't come out in the morning so i had to wake him for his soak. Also I weighed him today and he is exactly the same weight as last week 65.203 grams. Hope he gets over this soon ...never ever putting that in there again. Thanks for everyones concern I was just baffled by it all.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Too bad he didn't think of biting that bad white bully! I wouldn't swear off cuttle bone forever, because it does have benefits. Why not break the cuttle bone into smaller, less threatening pieces, and then place one in the least-used corner of your enclosure. After he's back to eating and acting like his old self, of course.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Edna said:
Too bad he didn't think of biting that bad white bully! I wouldn't swear off cuttle bone forever, because it does have benefits. Why not break the cuttle bone into smaller, less threatening pieces, and then place one in the least-used corner of your enclosure. After he's back to eating and acting like his old self, of course.

I purchased that green block by zoo med that's supposed to act the same way as the cuttlebone and will try to add it in but broken in half in about a week or two cause he's still in a funk.... I'm just gonna keep a close eye on him for now cause he has been really acting odd and sleeping a lot..loss of appetite ....I know I'm a worried mess but I'd do anything for this little guy...tomorrow is 3 weeks that I have him

Mich

5 Year Member
My leo (4yr old) completely ignores her cuttlebone. I still keep it in there but sahe just tramples over it from time to time. To help wear down her beak I have 3 large slate tiles throughout her enclosure that I put her food on so her beak wears down and she chomps. A friend of mine has luck with some cactus type thing, similar to a cuttle bone, perhaps you could even find one of those.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, sounds like your tort is a boy. I was going to suggest breaking it into a size that seems less threatening. I have never heard of that before!!

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
He's def back to normal since i removed the cuttlebone ...I'm sure now that it freaked him out but all is ok now and he is doing better

Status
Not open for further replies.