current setups

ashned7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake district, England
DSC_7347.jpg DSC_0248.JPG DSC_0245.JPG DSC_0220.JPG So it's been a long time since I posted so hi everyone :-D recently moved into our own home so thought I would update you with the new homes for the tortoises.

My Hermanns is now 7 and still have him set up in an open plan way using towels as a base rather than soil/coir and he's doing really well.

My Russian is now nearly 4 and in a 5x4 ft indoor tortoise table which he loves.

Once we have the tortoises outdoor enclosures up and running I will post pictures of that too :-D

Hope you guys like it
Ash

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I must have missed something in another post. Why towels instead of substrate?

Russian set up looks great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ash:

Was there a reason for the towell in the Herman's enclosure?

I really like your big open space for the little Russian. He's a real cutey pie. It sort of looks like his beak may be getting a bit long.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
hi guys :) :) yeah it was over a year ago since I was talking to you all I think so I'm not surprised you don't recall. So my Hermanns lives in an alcove 6x2 ft in my living room with mvb light and all his accessories but towels instead of soil. The towels absorb heat from the light, provide a good layer of insulation and release that heat slowly overnight just like soil.Also absorbs water from mistings, can be changed regularly and he has tunnels and plantpots for hides. My tortoise has free roam of the living room (debatable I know) but I don't feel that a tortoise table of 6x2 would be fair for him, and that is all the space we could give him for an indoor table. As a result, he is free to walk in and out of his alcove as he pleases, but that means no coir/soil. Been two years since we made the change and I really think he is happier than he would be if boxed into a tortoise table.
I agree about the russian tortoises beak-slate was lost in the move and will be replaces asap!