Curling Claws - Do I Clip Them?

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hello, everyone!

On September 19 of this year, I purchased my baby Russian named Hazel. She's a beautiful (captive bred, I believe) little girl with cute spots on her face that look like "dimples." However, on her back right leg, her farthest back claw is curled to the point of it growing the entire other direction.

20141208_190008.jpg

As you can see, it's curled so much that I am afraid it's going to start digging into her little foot. Is it safe to clip it? Although she's a squirmer, I'm confident that I can successfully clip it if needed without injuring her actual foot.

Will it always grow curled like this? Thank you!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You can only cut the tip where there is no quick. Otherwise the nail will bleed. That nail isn't normal; the toe may have been injured. What kind of substrate are you using? Does she walk on hard surfaces such as your floor?

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
You can only cut the tip where there is no quick. Otherwise the nail will bleed. That nail isn't normal; the toe may have been injured. What kind of substrate are you using? Does she walk on hard surfaces such as your floor?

Hi, there!

I use coconut fiber and place little flat stones around the enclosure to assist in claw filing (and beak trimming when food is eaten on top of the rocks).

I can't say if she was injured. When I purchased her, she already had the curled claw.

Thanks for the response!