Curious question about bellies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Just a curious question, why does my Greek tortoise have black spots on her belly? I noticed that other tortoises have this too, so I know it isn't a concern. I just wonder why with their backs being so highly organized into a pattern, why the belly just has random spots on it. I see it as a good way to tell them apart from their cage mates though.

DSC04792.jpg

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
Looks like natural coloration to me. It varies from individual to individual. They are just natural pigments and they tend to get darker as they get older.

The theory for shell colors which is supported by trends is that species living in colder areas are darker. Ie Lebanese golden greeks are lighter than their mountain region greek cousins which can be very dark.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Wait, did you say "cagemates?" Are they the same species? Never mix different species, here's an article on why it's important not to mix; http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/mixing.htm Even mixing species from the safe family (i.e. a T.G.ibera with a T.G.graeca) is a bad idea, due to the risk of hybridization. But if you meant you had other golden greeks as cagemates, then your fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.