cuddle bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
At the pet smart here where i live they have a cuddle bone in the reptile section and in the bird section. The one in the retile section is twice as much as in the bird section. Is there any difference in the two? The sales associate i spoke with did not know the answer. Some of the ingredients listed are different. Thanks for any input you can give me.

M

Maggie Cummings

"cuttlebone" has no ingredients as it is the bone of a fish. Get the cheapest, in your case the bird one, they are just ripping people off.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I go to Wal-mart to get mine it is cheaper.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I was at "Pet People" yesterday, don't know if they have those everywhere, and they sell the large ones for less than 75 cents. When I looked at them in the big name stores they were more than $2 for a small one. They were in the bird section but they person working said that they are all the same thing...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are all the same thing. I get mine from the feed store for $0.69 each, and they are HUGE compared to the ones at the other stores.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Here, the difference it that, for the bird section, the shell is intact... for the reptile section the shell is already removed that's why it's more expensive. At least in our country, so I buy the shelled one and I remove them myself :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Find a Feed store that sells pet stuff and they are cheaper there.. usually..
same with lots of meds... more expensive for dogs cats, but cheaper for livestock. BUT you have to know what you are doing.. dosage ect...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I get mine off ebay...like 10 pounds for $6. Then I just file the membrane off the back (or is it the front:p)...and it's chomp city for Aladar...the yearlings still couldn't care less!

Hermans Lover

5 Year Member
I am new to tortoise world, had my herman's just over a year . Does he need a cuddle bone?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Cuttlebone is for calcium... it does not harm to leave a few behind on their enclosure and they will munch on it when they feel they need calcium It also files my torts beak.

Mine's over a year too - about 3.5in in size and she munches on her cuttlebone from time to time :)

Hermans Lover

5 Year Member
geekinpink said:
Cuttlebone is for calcium... it does not harm to leave a few behind on their enclosure and they will munch on it when they feel they need calcium It also files my torts beak.

Mine's over a year too - about 3.5in in size and she munches on her cuttlebone from time to time :)

I have been giving him a calcium/vitamin powder mix sprinkled on his food . It is made for reptiles but not sure tort in praticular.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cuttlebone's main benefit is beak growth control. The big chunks the tortoise breaks off are not easily absorbed by the system before they are passed through. They certainly help some, but a good fine powder is better, and proper diet is best.

C

c1ark2

Well, of course! There is certainly going to be some difference or the other when those two are taken. If you do not know much about the history of birds, I can tell you one thing. Birds actually evolved from the reptiles. So the fact that reptiles and birds share something in common is obvious. However, if you think the cuddle bone in the bird section was smaller in comparison to the reptile section, it is because the bones of birds came out to be much smaller to aid the ability of flight!

G

greekmark1234

A cuttlebone is not actually a bone, but rather the internal shell of the Cuttlefish, a small, squid-like cephalopod. In the Cuttlefish, the cuttlebone is filled with gasses and helps control the fish's buoyancy in the water. While for years people have harvested and used cuttlebones for various purposes, the most widely recognized use of the cuttlebone is as a supplement and exercise toy for birds.

The cuttlebone is a lightweight, oblong, chalky object that is mainly composed of calcium -- making it an ideal way to supplement a birds's calcium intake.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
I get mine from a big bird store... xD
They have a whole bunch of them in a big sack.
the price in there its sometimes like 5 times cheaper than the packaged ones from petco and the big pet stores...
it wont matter where or how much you spent ... its all the same xD

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You can get cuttlebone online or from bird stores for dirt cheap compared to the ones they have in Petsmart or Petco. It's the same thing, pet stores want to trick you into thinking it's different because they want your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.