cucumber leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Can sulcatas eat cucumeber leaves? What about zucchini leaves? Ralph has somehow gotten into our garden and has been eating the leaves of the cucumbers. I haven't seen anything wrong with the zucchini leaves, but until I figure out HOW he's getting into everything I need to know what's safe. He also ate down the strawberry plants and some green leaf lettuce.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Debbie, my Greeks and DT have eaten the exact same plants with no problems. Strawberry leaves are better than the fruit. (or so humans say nationally :) ). Plants such as zucchini, pumpkin, yellow, crookneck or about any other Squash plants and the squash are OK. green leaf lettuce is Ok and Cucumbers are ok but provide little nutrition other than water but the leaves carry more nutrition. My concern would be:
1) how is he getting into the garden?
2) will he become a picky eater and only want the good stuff? :D

The leaves from the tomato, potato and eggplant are Bad. These are a member of the nightshade family and the leaves are toxic.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I thought pepper plant leaves were toxic as well?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks,

I'm thinking that my kids brushed the vines down so he could reach them. My garden is raised about 2 feet off the ground, and that's the only thing I can think of.

We do have tomato plants but he hasn't even tried to touch it. They are in a planter and in a tomato cage. I've tried giving him the rose petals off our bush, but he doesn't like them. We have roses, honeysuckle, hibiscus, mandevilla, petunias, watermelon, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, green leaf lettuce, grapes, strawberries, & cucumbers.

So far I know he LOVES the grape leaves, hibiscus, petunias, strawberry (the whole plant), and cucumber leaves.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm sure he will get to the zucchini squash once they develop my DT love them.
so out of what you posted, Don't let him have the tomato leaves, pepper leaves and I am not sure about Mandevilla.
Hope that helped. He's found a nice cash of Yummys to eat :p

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ut oh, he found the garden :eek:
look out, that's may be the new goal.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
It's so funny because it's a raised garden. He can climb into the petunias but not into the veges. He tries, though. Give him a year or two and I think he'll be able to do it. The garden is about 2 feet raised. Te petunias are about 7 inches raised.

Thanks for the heads up about the peppers and the tomatoes. Is it ALL peppers, or certain ones? Doesn't matter, I'll be moving my husband's jalapenos up higher anyway. They are on the ground in a small window box planter. The bell peppers are in the raised garden.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Its all peppers leaves and stems that are toxic. He can however have the fruit from the pepper plants. Mine love bell peppers. Sounds as if he will have a new goal to work towards. Garden climbiming. Awh a new climbing sport. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.