Cross breeding

bellamia

5 Year Member
I'm just curious ...a lot of you keep many different breeds of tortoise so do they ever crossbreed ? like dogs they have same parts so is this possible?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes some people have bred sulcata to leopards . So it is possible to cross breed .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are no "breeds" of tortoise. Only species and subspecies.

Yes it is possible two get two species to breed, but it shouldn't happen and it shouldn't be allowed to happen. Species should not be mixed either for for housing or for breeding.

bellamia

5 Year Member
Thats what I thought , but I see so many pics on here of Tortoise together I wondered how you all prevent this. I guess they have too be closely watched. :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is very common to see pics of this in Asian countries. It is also very common for those people to PM me and ask me why their tortoise is sick or dead.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most people who keep more than one specie of tortoise keep them separated in different habitats, pastures or yards. Some people mix species, but I certainly don't recommend it.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I can only speak about me . I have 8 different torts and they are each in there
Own pens . I don't let them mix with each other no more then I would let preaty horse and a goat mix Evan if they could they each have their been a
Fits but no mixing
Just tort collectors thoughts

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
While I do not approve of crossing species, a few crosses have been reported in the wild:
Yellow Foot X Red Foot
Kinixys Homeana X Erosa
Crosses of indotestudo and cuora species.
Also there has been a lot of subspecies crosses, in particular hermanni, graeca and horsfield.

bellamia

5 Year Member
So it does happen then even in the wild
Does this make the tortoises less healthy? In dogs for example crossbreed dogs are usually healthier.
Just wondering why this is bad. After all if they breed in the wild who are we to judge? LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's very rare in the wild and usually does not happen even if some species ranges overlap. I can't say that is has never been recorded, but it is not common by any means.

Natural selection keeps populations of wild animals healthy and fit. Not the same thing as our inbred breeds of dogs who get top notch vet care and coddling from day one.

And its a myth that mutt dogs are "healthier" than purebreds. I have been a professional trainer for decades and worked with literally thousands of dogs. I have seen just as many, or just as few depending on one's point of view, problems with mutts as I have purebreds both health wise and temperament wise.

"Who are we to judge?" We are the people responsible for removing these animals and their ancestors from the wild. We have a duty and a responsibility to do "right" by them in our captive environments. Mixing them up with other species from other parts of the world, exposing them to behavior they don't understand and pathogens they cannot defend against is NOT doing the "right" thing, in my opinion. Also, many of these species will never be brought into captivity from the wild again, and so we owe it to ourselves to keep them healthy, happy and breeding as purely as we practically and possibly can, so that future generations can enjoy them and learn from them as we do.

bellamia

5 Year Member
very good points thanks ! I'm a new tortoise owner got my redfoot 2 weeks ago and I'm fascinated by him already.
I have much to learn and this is a great site to do that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bellamia said:
very good points thanks !

I have much to learn and this is a great site to do that.

Thank you.

And I agree. Nothing like this site anywhere that I've ever seen.

Happy torting!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Well said Tom. There is also a lack of conclusive evidence for most of the crosses I mentioned.
Only thing I would say is that people who do not approve of hybridization, seem to think that crossing Russian subspecies is OK. I've seen very few breeders advertising specific subspecies of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
Only thing I would say is that people who do not approve of hybridization, seem to think that crossing Russian subspecies is OK. I've seen very few breeders advertising specific subspecies of them.

This is a subject I have tried to research. It seems opinions vary wildly about this. Some say there are no subspecies, only geographical variation. I have heard some say 3 subspecies, others 5. I have seen conflicting info about how to visually ID any of the supposed subspecies. For the time being, all of my russians are being kept in the separate groups they come to me in.

In short, I am a sheep with out a shepherd when it comes to russian subspecies. Can you guide me? Maybe in a new thread, so we don't take this one in the wrong direction.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
TBH I am not very good at it either. Dan did a post to identify 3 of them on the Shelled Warriors Forums a while back, but I am pretty certain that the subspecies have now changed. I generally think there are 5 of them, but the Turtle Room's species list-which appears to be the most upto date on the web- has 6, as I haven't heard of bogdanovi before.
http://theturtleroom.com/educational-resources/full-species-checklist/
There appears to be so small differences that the pet trade has not taken to accept the subspecies of them. I guess it is a bit like the recent restructuring of the genus kinixys, most people are ignoring what is actually proposed for species/subspecies.
Dan's 3 subspecies ID:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28051&highlight=horsfield+subspecies

As you said, it is a very patchy subject.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
We do have some members in here who have sulcata crossed with leopards. Those are some very pretty animals. We also have many more who have successfully kept different species together with sucess. Once more it's a lot to do with your values, your abilities, and how much work you want to do.

I personally have only one mixture in one enclosure: I have a paint turtle who lives with my red eared sliders. I am not a big fan of mixing species and think the risk is higher then any good that may happen.