Crash The New RT On the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
You all may know I adopted the dog-chewed RT that Yvonne posted about a few days ago. Here are some photos of Crash taking his first soak at home. He drank ALOT, soaked for 20 minutes and now he's happily chomping down some breakfast:D He's a welcome addition to our family:)

Crash (I'm a Crash Davis/Bull Durham fan)
Crash Carapice.jpg

His Profile:
DSC00854.JPG

His big drink...
Crash Takes a Big Drink.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
i belive it may have been chewed on by a dog , but i would apply a antibotic cream that you can buy over the counter as i belive the scutes are missing because of a fungal infection. either way it will cause the scutes to re grow much faster than it you didn't apply it.........ed

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
oswego tort lover said:
i belive it may have been chewed on by a dog , but i would apply a antibotic cream that you can buy over the counter as i belive the scutes are missing because of a fungal infection. either way it will cause the scutes to re grow much faster than it you didn't apply it.........ed

Yvonne took it in from a family whose Labrador (soft-mouthed obviously) "chewed" it. His plastron is fine. But I'll check out your advice. I'm not sure I understand how the scutes can grow faster with the cream applied?? Could you please explain that concept so I understand it? thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I picked up the tortoise the same day the dog had chewed it. It was very fresh and you can still see the tooth scrapes. I doubt there was time for a fungus infection to set in. But I'm always willing to learn new things.

Yvonne

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
He is a handsome torty and seems very content~ I look forward to updates on how he continues to do. That is so great he has a wonderful & safe home now!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Congratulations on your new addition. How fortunate that you live close enough to Yvonne to offer your home to one of her rescues. It is a relief that Crash's shell will grow back, because it looks like serious damage--and there seems to be no pyramiding so he will be a handsome fellow indeed once he heals!:cool:

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks again to everyone for your well wishes. Crash seems to be enjoying it here, is eating well and "chillin'" in his outdoor enclosure when weather permits. He is very personable and seems not to have been tormented too badly. While there are some dog-tooth scrape marks on him and he has lost alot of his scute material, he is very active and seems perfectly healthy with no signs of infection anywhere on him. However, since I have not received a clarifying response from Ed (Oswego Tort Lover), I am conducting an experiment because it just might teach me something. I am putting antifungal/antibacterial cream on the carpace of his left side several times a week. We will see if that side grows scutes faster than the untreated side. (BTW: Russians don't seem to have the same type of pyramiding problems as other species and his carpace is otherwise very well formed). Since it takes several years for new scute material to grow (normally), don't expect updates on the experiement in the near future (unless this is a miracle cure for the problem:)). Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.