Craigslist tortoise "russian"

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
At first glance I thought "no way" but after looking at it for a minute, I think it may actually be a really dark Russian regardless, I would get my hands on this tortoise if I could. Where is it located?

Magilla504

I'm looking into getting it right now. It's in virginia

I had the same inpression. When I first seen the pics I thought what the heck kind of species is that tortoise. Then after looking for a minute It seems to have the same features as all my other Russians minus the odd, dark coloring. I think it looks really unique

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Absolutely not a Russian. It looks to be a hybrid between T. g. ibera and T. marginata unfortunately.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I never said to not give it a home. It's still an animal with a heartbeat. It's just unfortunate that it's a hybrid thanks to lack of responsibility and/or knowledge.

Magilla504

Thank you all for your expertise. I usually do well telling species apart but this one had me for a loop! Without seeing it in person
I was convincing myself that it's color could just be super unique and wanted to lean one way. Then I would find internal arguments as to why it is not !
I was like a kid in a candy shop thinking that I possibly found such a unique russian tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a very unique-looking tortoise. I wouldn't mind having it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting. I've never seen one quite like that. The legs, leg scales, color and texture in the middle of each scute and head all look pretty russian, but the color and growth rings are decidedly not russian looking.

I'd love to know the history on this one...

Magilla504

I have informed the seller about our wonderful tortoise forum. She was thrilled to find some things out after speaking with me. I think given the right person, you could talk her into shipping. I right now do not have the capabilities of taking on a different species. At the top of the post is the craigslist link. The tortoise is still available

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Could possibly be a T. marginata X A. horsfieldii hybrid. I've seen marginata X ibera hybrids like this though. Very unique.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
definitely unique looking I would get it myself and then not breec it keep it solitairy