Could it happen?

Nosignal

So this past summer. I found two leopards in an area that was miles away from any homes. I found them 5 months apart within a yards of the last but the second one unfortunately died. They were under a year old. Some of my other friends with torts swear that there could be more in the area or the two I found hatched in the wild. So I started looking more in the area and found what seems to be the remains of a large tortoise. Unknown if it was a leopard or not. My question is if a adult female had escape and laid eggs could they have hatched and the torts I found be from her. I live in socal and the past years were warm throughout the year.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Anything is Possible. I live in SoCal as well our Winters have been pretty cold I can't imagine a lot of hatchlings surviving those Winters. But keep your eyes
open.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So this past summer. I found two leopards in an area that was miles away from any homes. I found them 5 months apart within a yards of the last but the second one unfortunately died. They were under a year old. Some of my other friends with torts swear that there could be more in the area or the two I found hatched in the wild. So I started looking more in the area and found what seems to be the remains of a large tortoise. Unknown if it was a leopard or not. My question is if a adult female had escape and laid eggs could they have hatched and the torts I found be from her. I live in socal and the past years were warm throughout the year.

Yes. Very possible.

Leopards will hatch in the ground in SoCal. They usually hatch late August or September. I've had sulcatas hatch out of the ground as late as November here.

I'm up near Magic Mountain. What area are you in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They could also have been picked up out of their yard and dropped by a bird.

Nosignal

If birds are dropping them hopefully they drop some more ;). I'm on the coast by Camp Pendleton. I don't think many more made it through this winter with the temps but I think the last couple years it could have happened which is why I found the two.

Nosignal

Here is a picture of the shell I found it was broken and scattered but it looks like tortoise shell parts.

1461542009115-1722710156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...that's just bone, no way for us to I.D. the species from that. But probably too much of a coincidence to not be the mother.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah...that's just bone, no way for us to I.D. the species from that. But probably too much of a coincidence to not be the mother.

I don't know. That shell is awfully weathered to have only been sitting outside for a year or two.

I think somebody near there must have leopards that laid eggs and didn't know it. The babies hatched and walked under the gate or something.

I would ask around the area and see if anyone near there has tortoises.