Could anyone help me identify rescued tort please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sookie

5 Year Member
Hello

The reason I have joined this forum is that a couple of days ago I found a tortoise in my garden and I need some help in identifying it please, his (I assume due to tail length :S) picture is below. Looking at the markings on his shell it looks as if he's survived quite a gnawing from something.

I live in the UK and it's been pretty cold recently, when going into my garden I saw this little guy by chance just lying in the grass, he must have been there a while as the grass beneath him was dead and yellow/white. I've put him in a cold environment but inside and safe. I've contacted local vets to see if anyone has lost one and a pet rescue who may yet collect him.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Terence 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Lucky for him you found him... actually my first thought is it is a female from what I can see so far and a turtle not a tortoise. Could we have some more pictures, especially a clear one of his head and neck? From the shell, it looks like he was being held by a predator of some kind and was dropped where you found him.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
It is in the genus Trachemys, a profile photo of the head would allow for an accurate identification.

Sookie

5 Year Member
Thank you. Here are some more pictures, we may have to come up with a new name now... Terrance somehow doesn't seem fitting for a lady!

IMAG2030.jpgIMAG2036.jpgIMAG2035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeap...those are teeth marks. It looks like whatever animal had him, he had his jaw around his shell. How fortunate that you found him when you did.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sookie and welcome to the Forum!!

You have a water turtle there. They can't swallow their food unless they are under the water. I think it is one of the map turtle species.

I just looked again at your pictures and I'm thinking this poor turtle is very dehydrated. Please get it into some water ASAP.

Sookie

5 Year Member
I think he may be hibernating? Do turtles hibernate?!?! Way out of my depth here, just want to do right by her/him. Is it warm or cold water and what food do they eat? How much water also, this may sound silly but I don't want to drown it! :(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is he even moving? Place him in some warm water, just to where the two shells meet for the water's depth.

momo said:
i think its a yellow slider.

i think its a yellow slider. he looks sad.

Me too

Sookie

5 Year Member
Tail wags

I've got him in water now. As soon as I put him in he wagged his tail about and slightly flexed his back legs. Still no eye movement as yet, and not much movement after that initially. Thank you for all of your help. I really hope this works, I'd be really upset if he didn't make it :(

I'll arrange for the RSPCA to pick him up in the morning, they should come quicker once they know his situation I think, and will be able to give him the attention he needs. What else for now should I do? It's nearly midnight so if I need to take him out or change the water I'll have to set an alarm.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you have a safe way to keep the water warm? Otherwise I would soak him for atleast 30 mins, changing the water as it cools. Then dry him off and leave him in a warm dry spot til morning and then you can go to bed knowing your did and are doing a good thing. You were his only chance of survivial. He is not out of the woods, far from it infact, but YOU gave him a chance.

What we are trying to do is a) warm him, but not too fast and 2) hydrate him with these soaks.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
100% you have a female yellow bellied slider, Tracemys scripta scripta. I highly recommend keeping her in five inches of warm water for quite some time. Dried or fresh shrimp is the best way to get her to eat, someone sunshine will definitely help. Good luck!!

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
That's a beautiful turtle. Where abouts do you live, Sookie? These are the kind of turtles that have become 'native' to some areas, because they've ended up too big for their tanks and been abandoned in park ponds. They end up breeding there, and if you visit in summer you see them all out basking at the pond's edge. If you have a park near you, with a pond, it's possible you've got more of these nearby. This one might just have ended up being the unlucky one that got caught by a predator. Of course, it might be a pet or an individual that's been abandoned, but you could be living closer to these than you think!

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
I knew right away it was a yellow bellied slider as I have 3 of them! Mine stay submerged almost all the time, 2 of them living in a 55 gal. aquarium and another in a 10 gal. They really only come out of the water to bask, at least that's how mine are. I know they are native to Florida and areas close by, so they need to stay warm. I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in a colder area, it needs to be kept pretty warm. You may already know all of this by now as I skipped the last few messages because I was anxious to offer my help with info. Let me know if I can help in any way! YBS are sweethearts!

Status
Not open for further replies.