Could a box turtle live outside in Sweden during the summer?

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Your winter temps sound similar to the northern parts of box turtles' natural range. You might be able to hibernate outside if you prepared a hibernaculum for them. What do you think @mark1 ?
Even if it snows?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, it's hard to tell since it can be anywhere from 40F-10F but If I were to hibernate the turtle I would do it indoors in a controlled environment.

Those temps are fine for adult box turtles to hibernate outdoors, just to let you know.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Not sure on sweden weather , I think it encompasses a number of different climates , including the arctic ? in the U.S. , eastern box turtles northern range has an active season from early to mid may through mid to late October … I would think the length of the season would be as limiting as the temps , I believe there are populations of spotted turtles that are only active like 3 months a year , but eastern box turtles seem to be limited to about 5 months a year on the low end ….. the frost line in the north most part of their range is 18”-32” ………….. it’s interesting in that if you look at those maps of planting zones , first and last frosts , and frost lines , then look at a map for the northern most range of the eastern box turtle , how similar they look , how their range does not extend beyond certain zones , and the edges of those zones coincide with edges of the turtles range , i guess it only makes sense ……… I don’t believe they are naturally found much beyond a latitude of 40 N …….

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don’t believe they are naturally found much beyond a latitude of 40 N …….
What people have to remember is that the Gulf Stream means that climate is much milder at a more northerly latitude on the East side of the Atlantic.

The Gulf Stream brings warm air from the Gulf of Mexico across the Atlantic, but heads north east affecting the climates of those on the European side. For example, the UK has a much, much milder climate than Nova Scotia, Canada which shares its latitude.

The affect of the Gulf Stream wears off a little by the time it reaches Sweden, but you still cannot compare climate with its equivalent latitude on the US side of the Atlantic.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I believe that , my brother lives in B.C. , his weather is much milder than mine in ohio ........I would look more at planting zones , they do correlate pretty well with turtles range limits .....an 18-32" frostline map is almost identical to the northern range map of eastern box turtles ...... there are some turtles that are even more cold tolerant than box turtles , and eastern box turtles can be partially frozen for up to 3 days and survive ..... what turtles are native to Sweden

Korall

Sweden
Not sure on sweden weather , I think it encompasses a number of different climates , including the arctic ? in the U.S. , eastern box turtles northern range has an active season from early to mid may through mid to late October … I would think the length of the season would be as limiting as the temps , I believe there are populations of spotted turtles that are only active like 3 months a year , but eastern box turtles seem to be limited to about 5 months a year on the low end ….. the frost line in the north most part of their range is 18”-32” ………….. it’s interesting in that if you look at those maps of planting zones , first and last frosts , and frost lines , then look at a map for the northern most range of the eastern box turtle , how similar they look , how their range does not extend beyond certain zones , and the edges of those zones coincide with edges of the turtles range , i guess it only makes sense ……… I don’t believe they are naturally found much beyond a latitude of 40 N …….

I live in the southern edge of Sweden.
The climate is comparable to the U.K though it is slightly more unpredictable in Sweden I would say.

Though, if I got a box turtle to live outside I would give it a shed with heat to hide and warm up during the night and colder days.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I live in the southern edge of Sweden.
The climate is comparable to the U.K though it is slightly more unpredictable in Sweden I would say.

Though, if I got a box turtle to live outside I would give it a shed with heat to hide and warm up during the night and colder days.

They are not like Tortoises. they need to either stay in the house during the winter, or they need to hibernate.

Korall

Sweden
They are not like Tortoises. they need to either stay in the house during the winter, or they need to hibernate.

Yeah, i know. I meant to say that i would have a shed outside during the summer but hibernate them during the winter (Or have an indoors enclosure)
Its because the weather here, even during the summer, is very unpredictable because of rain and wind.

Korall

Sweden
I believe that , my brother lives in B.C. , his weather is much milder than mine in ohio ........I would look more at planting zones , they do correlate pretty well with turtles range limits .....an 18-32" frostline map is almost identical to the northern range map of eastern box turtles ...... there are some turtles that are even more cold tolerant than box turtles , and eastern box turtles can be partially frozen for up to 3 days and survive ..... what turtles are native to Sweden

From what i know, there are no native turtles in Sweden, only a few snakes and frogs.
But what species is best suited for the cold? Id love to have species that i can keep outside during the warm half of the year.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
From what i know, there are no native turtles in Sweden, only a few snakes and frogs.
But what species is best suited for the cold? Id love to have species that i can keep outside during the warm half of the year.

I would say an Eastern Box Turtle would be best suited. They can handle the colder temps and are pretty hardy. Like Mark stated which I failed to bring up is their activity will probably be limited to 3-4 months out of the year according to these Ave temp numbers: FYI

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493906369.625157.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
My Boxies are outside in all weather. they do have little sheltered areas, but overall, they enjoy being out. I live in eastern PA and the climate is not great. right now we have 57 degrees. chilly, but the turtles love it.

Korall

Sweden
UPDATE

So, I'm still pondering the possibilities (Such at turning an old chicken coop into a tortoise/turtle home)

I am also consider other possible tortoises/turtles that could live outside in this climate.
Perhaps Russians although I haven't had time to research it enough to say if it's possible.