Correctly setting up a leopard tortoise basking lamp.

Wrts1289

Location (City and/or State)
Sterling Heights, michigan
Hello! Recently I purchased a 80W basking lamp for my leopard tortoise and am looking into a correct set up for this bulb. At this time I have two flat stones that he can rest on until something else can be purchase if needed. I have the bulb and housing already purchased. On the box is height settings for approximate temperature, but I wanted to hear others opinions, as well as inquire for the placement of the thermostat probe. Does the temp gun need to measure at the top of the stone or top of the tortoise? Thank you for your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need a incandescent flood bulb for basking. You do not use it on a thermostat, you raise it or lower it to get the correct temp. You do not want the basking bulb going on and off all day. You can put it on a timer so it comes on in the morning and off at night.
I make sure the basking area, stone, whatever it is, is at the lowest of the basking range. 95-100 is the range, so the ground under the basking bulb should be 95 or a little lower is fine too. That should make the top of the tortoises shell at the top of the range. Get a infrared point and shoot temp gun and you can check it when he is basking to get sure it's not too hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! Recently I purchased a 80W basking lamp for my leopard tortoise and am looking into a correct set up for this bulb. At this time I have two flat stones that he can rest on until something else can be purchase if needed. I have the bulb and housing already purchased. On the box is height settings for approximate temperature, but I wanted to hear others opinions, as well as inquire for the placement of the thermostat probe. Does the temp gun need to measure at the top of the stone or top of the tortoise? Thank you for your help.
What size tortoise?

I check the basking temperature by laying a digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height, and letting it bake for an hour or more. Adjust the height of the bulb and fixture to get the correct basking temperature under it. Your flat stones sound excellent.

Like this:shopping.png

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@Wrts1289
Do you own a non contact digital thermometer?
They're not expensive and they're very handy in our hobby.
This particular one is from HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230714_183615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714_183615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0