correcting pyramiding

Startoise

Hi Everyone. My name is Allen. I would like to ask everyone to help me correct what is wrong in my enclosure to make my tortoise grow smooth while reducing the pyramiding that was already formed since I purchase them.

My setup is : I let them sunbathe while soak them in warm water everyday for 20 minutes then I give them food which is kale and carrot (pumpkin and mustard greens on the next day and repeat from kale and carrot) and everynight I seal them inside wet humid hide until next morning. In my humid hide, I put manure as substrate and attach dacron on every humid hide wall and I spray some water on it. I put CHe above my humid hide. And as u can see, my enclosure is in a room with good air flow ventilation.

Will this work for my tortoise? I want them to grow bigger and having smooth growth on their shell

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 58

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like you have three different species together is that correct? If so they all need their own enclosure. They also need an enclosure that is not tiled flooring unless covered with a substrate. Manure is not the best substrate and won't hold humidity well that I know off. Coconut coir is the best for that. Also a lot more items need to be added to their diets

Startoise

Thanks for all of your suggestion. Here is my cherry head photo with dry head..can anyone tell me how to fix this? So. I hav 2 sulcata, 1 indian , 1 cherry head. Should I make 4 small tortoise table for them with uvb/uva, substrate and humid hide?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 32

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
No, you should make 5 preferably as you might not want the sulcata's together. Also, make them as large as you can!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Allen, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I agree, you need 5 separate enclosures as large as you can manage, preferably something like 4' by 8' minimum, each.
Sorry, but that's a lot of space.
Do they have outdoor space, too ?

Keith D.

Arizona
Oh Allen, Allen, Allen... First off let me say hello and welcome to TFO.
You will def need 4 separate enclosures, if you cant make 4 atm do at least 3 to keep your different species separated and housed correctly. Your little guys need a lot more humidity then you think. NEVER use manure as a substrat never, never, never...Even properly composted commercially bought manure could harbour parasites and parasite eggs that don't die in the composting process. Your best choice of substrate for humidity will be coco coir as a main and sphagnum along with coco coir in the wet hide. Your choice of diet isn't right either (I'm not harping on you, just guiding). Others have given you links and food lists please do your homework on your different species. One species can be a handful, multiple species is a full time job, both requiring full commitment to them.
I would soak each of them daily for a couple months in tepid water for 30min to a hour so they get a chance to rehydrate. I saw your feeding dishes and approve. You should also have a water dish of the same type in each enclosure.
Keep asking us questions and we will guide you to success. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Allen, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I agree, you need 5 separate enclosures as large as you can manage, preferably something like 4' by 8' minimum, each.
Sorry, but that's a lot of space.
Do they have outdoor space, too ?
Whoops!
Four enclosures, how bad is my maths today ?
Sorry.