Correct Bulbs?

Freddywoozy

Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hey, another question from me... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about using a "Exo Terra PT2138 Intense Basking Spot, 100 Watt" and a "Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp" for my Russians whe i get them. are these good bulbs to use?
By the way, im only looking for exo terra gear at the moment.

My second question which is less urgent... would the Zoo Med Tortoise House be a good indoor enclosure. And would the Tortoise Play Pen work fr outside? these are just temporary, because the tortoise when i get it will be about two inches in size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No! No!! No!!! Ix-nay on the compact bulb!!!!! Those bulbs are known to cause painful eyes in baby tortoises. If you're set on getting a basking bulb, then get a tube type UVB fluorescent bulb to go with it. Or, you can forget both those bulbs and get a Mercury Vapor Bulb instead. The MVB provides the heat and the UVB all in one bulb.

Also, the Zoo Med Tortoise House is ok for a baby tortoise for a short while, but it is way too small to house the tortoise after he starts to grow.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Freddywoozy

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Ok thanks for the warning. the last thing i want to do is blind them! :eek:
Is the "
No! No!! No!!! Ix-nay on the compact bulb!!!!! Those bulbs are known to cause painful eyes in baby tortoises. If you're set on getting a basking bulb, then get a tube type UVB fluorescent bulb to go with it. Or, you can forget both those bulbs and get a Mercury Vapor Bulb instead. The MVB provides the heat and the UVB all in one bulb.

Also, the Zoo Med Tortoise House is ok for a baby tortoise for a short while, but it is way too small to house the tortoise after he starts to grow.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Ok thanks for the warning. the last thing i want to do is blind them! :eek:
Is the Exo Terra SunGlo MVB 125w a safer option?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, if you use the exo terra basking bulb, you'll still need to get a UVB bulb.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I mis-understood your reply. Yes, the Sun-glo is fine. The only bulb you need.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are the victim of some crafty marketers Freddy. I say none of the above to everything you just asked.

"Intense" basking bulbs are not good. That sounds like it will dry out and damage your tortoises carapace. Just use a 65 watt flood bulb from the hardware store for heat.

I agree with Yvonne about the coil bulbs. Skip that and use the long tube type instead. Or the mercury vapor bulb will work fine.

I don't like the design or the size of either of those ZooMed tortoise houses. Too small, not made of the right materials, and the hides are much too large in proportion to the open area.

Why are you only looking for Exo-Terra gear? Other companies make useful products too.

Here are a couple of threads that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Is that an actual reptile bulb? It kinda looks like something they sell for houses?

KnNTiny

I was just curious since my mom and I passed by it in Home Depot. I just remembered that someone mentioned MVB.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Would this be the correct MVB to get? View attachment 89877

KnNTiny
I do not think that is the right kind of bold I am not sure it gives off the UVB that you need. I use the zoomed Tortoise house actually two of them put together for my adult Russian tortoise for an indoor winter habitat. But I do not think they are good for a baby because they need much more humidity so I think you would be better off getting a Rubbermaid 50 gallon tub or something like that. I'm sure Tom's threads said something about that so make sure you read those. The playpen has gaps that your little Tortoise will be able to get through and he will constantly try because he can see through it. There are great examples of outdoor pens for baby tortoises on the forum. Read all the information you can find on this forum and your Tortoise will be fine. One thing that took me a while to figure out is to take the advice from people who suggest you get many of those supplies a hardware store versus a pet store. They are much cheaper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would this be the correct MVB to get?

No. You need one designed and built to produce a specific range of UVB. The coating on that bulb probably intentionally filters out the UV that your tortoise needs.

KnNTiny

Thanks Tom. I was just curious. And my mom said she wasn't going to buy it until I asked you guys. Any recommendations on the best brand or type of light I should get to provide the UVB?

KnNTiny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a google search for Reptile Mercury Vapor Bulb.

sometimes Amazon has them for sale cheaper than the pet stores. Be prepared to spend around $40