Corn Cob bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinmin17

5 Year Member
Hello, I saw corn cob bedding for small animals online and I am wondering is it suitable for tortoise. Any comments on that?

I am currently using coconuts chippings and paper litter for my two star tortoise and it seems that they do no like the coconuts chippings. Is it cause it is too dusty?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No. You shouldn't use corn cob bedding for tortoises. Too dry and it might cause impaction if they eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No pine and since I don't know what "pee wee pellets" are, I wouldn't recommend those either. The best things are cypress mulch, coco coir (not chips), clean, plain soil, and orchid bark. Or a mixture of some or all of the above. Some people like sand in the mix too, but I don't.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
300% absorbency! Poor tortie would have the life sucked out of him! Jinmin17, Tom gave you good advice for bedding. I myself use cypress mulch (Toms advice) and my tort is very happy and healthy!

jinmin17

5 Year Member
thanks for all yr help.

I currently using paper litter. How is it?

I am unable to find coco coir and orhird bark around my area.

I bought coco chips instead. Can you tell me what will happen if I use it?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The chips don't hold enough humidity, and neither does the paper. It is too drying for the tortoise, and it will have health problems because of it.

Is there somewhere you can just get plain, clean dirt that hasn't had any chemicals like pesticides used on it? If you can't find the other beddings, please don't use the paper or chips any more either. Just use clean dirt.

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you choose, you can easily order bricks of coconut coir from online reptile stores. Orchid bark is found in garden and home improvement stores. I don't like the coco chips as they are tough for small torts to walk on as the particles are big.

Status
Not open for further replies.