Coconut chips

SarahB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Holland mi
I’ve been looking for orchard bark here in Michigan. The best deal I found was on Amazon and it was very expensive.

Wondering if any one has used or has thoughts on using “reptichip”? It’s made from coconuts.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seems fine..What kind of tortoise do you have?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are there HOME DEPOT stores in Michigan?
Home Depot sells inexpensive Orchid Bark. At the very least it's available online.
BETTER-GRO is the "brand" name on the bags. Each bag is cheap and the bark is very long lasting.
Make sure that it says that it's pure. Or in this case "potting media".
Do not buy any that say "potting mix". Or any with added ingredients

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been looking for orchard bark here in Michigan. The best deal I found was on Amazon and it was very expensive.

Wondering if any one has used or has thoughts on using “reptichip”? It’s made from coconuts.
I don't like coco chips for tortoises. I use to for some of my snakes and lizards, but not for torts. Its too course and isn't easy for them to walk on.

If you can't get bulk fine grade orchid bark from local nurseries and they won't special order it for you, you can get "Repti-bark" on Petco.com or chewy.com cheaper than in the store.

Twistedbydesign

Gilberts, IL
We just got a baby Hermanns. I’ve mixed Repti Chip as I have a lot for our Ball Pythons and then mixed it with Eco Earth. I think this is working very well. The Repti Chip holds humidity very well which baby’s need and the Eco Earth kind of levels it out a little.

Twistedbydesign

Gilberts, IL
We just replaced the Eeptichip and Eco Earth with Microchip and like it a lot more. Not as messy, easier for our fort to walk on and keeps humidity even better.