Coolest road rescue of the year

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I don't know if there's more turtle's out on the road this year, or now that I have a tortoise and have joined this forum I'm just paying more attention while driving. On the way out to Walmart to get a new mini blind because my dog got the cord stuck on his collar and yanked it down destroying my mini blind, and then getting it wrapped around my lamp and destroying that. It all worked out, because I was able to get this box turtle across the road before he got hit. I haven't seen a box turtle in many years, so this was a welcome find. I've never been more tempted to bring a road rescue home, but I beat temptation.20180610_120757.jpeg20180610_120726.jpeg20180610_120716.jpeg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
What a beauty! I think people on here need to start hiring you when their torts get lost!
LOL, right place at the right time. I wish some of the other people in front of me would stop, half of them don't even swerve.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I don't know if there's more turtle's out on the road this year, or now that I have a tortoise and have joined this forum I'm just paying more attention while driving. On the way out to Walmart to get a new mini blind because my dog got the cord stuck on his collar and yanked it down destroying my mini blind, and then getting it wrapped around my lamp and destroying that. It all worked out, because I was able to get this box turtle across the road before he got hit. I haven't seen a box turtle in many years, so this was a welcome find. I've never been more tempted to bring a road rescue home, but I beat temptation.View attachment 241537View attachment 241538View attachment 241539
Beautiful. And I must say that the turtle looks very pleased with himself in the first picture. Lol both you and @DE42 ( Dan) seem to always be rescuing tortoises and turtles from the road.

Sully06012018

Ocklawaha, FL
I don't know if there's more turtle's out on the road this year, or now that I have a tortoise and have joined this forum I'm just paying more attention while driving. On the way out to Walmart to get a new mini blind because my dog got the cord stuck on his collar and yanked it down destroying my mini blind, and then getting it wrapped around my lamp and destroying that. It all worked out, because I was able to get this box turtle across the road before he got hit. I haven't seen a box turtle in many years, so this was a welcome find. I've never been more tempted to bring a road rescue home, but I beat temptation.View attachment 241537View attachment 241538View attachment 241539
That would be a tough decision not to keep. When I lived in Missouri I had three box turtles that lived in my yard...one day I noticed something white sticking out of the grass and low and behold it was the remainder of an egg...we had babies.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Good save! A few weeks ago I stopped and moved FOUR eastern boxies to safety. I usually only find one crossing, but four? It's like they were a big family. All good size as well.
Finding a herd of box turtles sounds like a pretty good day. Good job on saving them.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Beautiful. And I must say that the turtle looks very pleased with himself in the first picture. Lol both you and @DE42 ( Dan) seem to always be rescuing tortoises and turtles from the road.
He had a really good personality, that's what made it so hard for me not to bring him home. It's kind of funny I used to only look for deer out in the fields because I hunt and I just like looking at them because they're cool. But now if I'm not looking at the car in front of me, I'm always glancing at the shoulder of the road looking for another turtle to save.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
He had a really good personality, that's what made it so hard for me not to bring him home. It's kind of funny I used to only look for deer out in the fields because I hunt and I just like looking at them because they're cool. But now if I'm not looking at the car in front of me, I'm always glancing at the shoulder of the road looking for another turtle to save.
Lol. Well I am glad that you are doing that. As it means the turtle gets to live another day. Hopefully longer if it doesn't go back across the road. Well done. But I get it. It is like buying a car. When you are looking at or have bought a particular car then all you start seeing is that same make on the roads.[emoji23]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was up in Michigan about a week ago. I too rescued a beautiful Box off the road. I think between the still cold nights up there and that they are finally making a good come back, they are seen more.
I also seen about 7-10 water turtles sunning themselves along the edge of the road. I left them as they were off the road and basking on the warmer dirt/stones.
Also seen about 4 snappers that some Ahole's ran over.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Great find! I haven't came across any boxies in my travels here in GA in about 3 years :( It's kind of sad.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Much more handsome than the guy I came across last week. Why no selfie with your hardback boy?
Because I just ran across 4 Lanes of traffic, had a barking dog in my truck, and didn't have time to set up a photoshoot LOL. Not to mention I put on a little weight, and didn't want to broadcast my fat face.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I was up in Michigan about a week ago. I too rescued a beautiful Box off the road. I think between the still cold nights up there and that they are finally making a good come back, they are seen more.
I also seen about 7-10 water turtles sunning themselves along the edge of the road. I left them as they were off the road and basking on the warmer dirt/stones.
Also seen about 4 snappers that some Ahole's ran over.
There have been alot of dead snappers, I always hate seeing them squished on the road. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Michigan, and glad you got to see sum turtles to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There have been alot of dead snappers, I always hate seeing them squished on the road. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Michigan, and glad you got to see sum turtles to.
I'm originally from Michigan, west side, Muskegon. My family is still there, but up further north by Big Rapids. I go back about once a month.
The smashed snappers are so obvious that they were purposely ran over, it makes me sick. In fact a lot of road kill this spring, more then normal it seems.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I'm originally from Michigan, west side, Muskegon. My family is still there, but up further north by Big Rapids. I go back about once a month.
The smashed snappers are so obvious that they were purposely ran over, it makes me sick. In fact a lot of road kill this spring, more then normal it seems.
No kidding, I was just in Muskegon for my youngest brother's wedding in April. I'm in Allendale in between Grand Haven and Grand Rapids. Agree, dead snappers were most likely caused by an A-hole behind the wheel.

GHOST TEQUILA

EAST COAST
Because I just ran across 4 Lanes of traffic, had a barking dog in my truck, and didn't have time to set up a photoshoot LOL. Not to mention I put on a little weight, and didn't want to broadcast my fat face.

I see, I see. You just want to let the turtle shine, I got ya.