Box turtles on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I don't know about the rest of the country,but in southern Arkansas the box turtles are everywhere you look.We got four out of the road in a ten mile stretch. Many are killed on roads every year. So do a poor box turtle a favor and take the time to stop and carry him to safety.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jackrat said:
I don't know about the rest of the country,but in southern Arkansas the box turtles are everywhere you look.We got four out of the road in a ten mile stretch. Many are killed on roads every year. So do a poor box turtle a favor and take the time to stop and carry him to safety.

Indeed! We always pull over to save any turtle we see trying to cross the road...saved a huge snapper last week.

Where in Arkansas are you at?...spent way too long in DeQueen, in Sevier County, in my youth. :D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Are box turtles native/wild where you live? I know someone that found one here, but I think it was a lost pet.

M

Maggie Cummings

And don't take one home, simply move it off the road into the direction it was going. Box turtles are very territorial so don't take it anyplace else and drop it off either. It will spend all it's resources (food and drink) to find it's home. It's inner food and drink, so simply move it out of the road...thanks ever so...:)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
maggie3fan said:
And don't take one home, simply move it off the road into the direction it was going. Box turtles are very territorial so don't take it anyplace else and drop it off either. It will spend all it's resources (food and drink) to find it's home. It's inner food and drink, so simply move it out of the road...thanks ever so...:)
Good advice Maggie.I neglected to point that out.

Terry Allan Hall said:
jackrat said:

Indeed! We always pull over to save any turtle we see trying to cross the road...saved a huge snapper last week.

Where in Arkansas are you at?...spent way too long in DeQueen, in Sevier County, in my youth. :D
Very familiar with DeQueen.I live in the S.E. corner of the state.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here we're finding Eastern Painted's, who leave their pond and are looking to nest. We put two back on the pond side of the road this week.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
in calif we only have 2 native species CDT and western ponds, both endangered, so if I see a boxie walking along I am picking it up. and will keep him/her if I can't find it's owner. :) I wish they were as plentiful as they are back east

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I drove to South Eastern Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago and moved a ton of box turtles off the road. I brought one home that was hit, all my efforts failed. She died a week later. My parents have a place at Lake Fork in East Texas and box turtles are everywhere! You can look around after a good rain and see ten of them walking around. I love it!

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.