Cool thing of the day

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Ok.....how cool is this?
View attachment 370715

Kerry and I love it now but I've had it for 40yrs so all my kids began on it before graduating to the faster plastics.

Not rare or valuable....but always the coolest kid on the hill!

I love "cool stuff"
I never had a sled. The garbage lid was ours😂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, my family had a wood toboggan growing up. All five of us, three kids and both parents would ride down on it at once at the snow covered sand dunes. I don't remember us have a pad though.
Great memories

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
What in the heck is that thing for? Is that something you tow behind a ski boat? Or do you take it out to the sand dunes in Glamis or Dumont Dunes???
Snow- Legal White stuff (cold to the touch)

We play in it, throw it at one another and slide over it as fast as humanly possible, while going down the side of a mountain on 1 board or 2 sticks....

Great fun......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Snow- Legal White stuff (cold to the touch)

We play in it, throw it at one another and slide over it as fast as humanly possible, while going down the side of a mountain on 1 board or 2 sticks....

Great fun......
They don't know what they are missing, not playing in the snow. As much as I hate snow, as a kid it was a blast.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
as a kid it was a blast.
Yup................and I'm just a little older now, no other differences!

Here in Md it's near-blasphemy to like "snow". Everyone seems to loath it, traffic stops 2 days before a storm to "get ready", the local Weather folks have their weathagasms on TV and we all are told when to like or not like it.

I LOVE snow.....it's Gods break from summer heat of course. I was always the one to take the kids to the hill as my NY wife at the time wasn't and still isn't a fan of it. I've been "working" Kerry to go skiing this winter and even have taken the lowbrow route of enlisting help from our kids but they seem to be siding with her on this one. lol

She skis but doesn't want to go for fear I'll hurt myself though she knows I've never gotten hurt on the mountains. (to my Co friends-they're really just hills here but I don't want to hurt the locals feelings). She got me to put it off when I couldn't afford to be injured this Winter/Spring with all we have going on, but by Nov it will all be in the past!
I tell her..."I'm probably not going to get any younger tomorrow, might be easier if at least I can help you guys carry me off the hill".....that's didn't work either. @$#@#%#^%%! LOL

need a new plan...........

COmtnLady

Colorado
People out here ski in their 80s and beyond, so no excuses for a spry young thing like you! (Besides, we have longer lift lines than your hills.:p )

We had the hood of a 1940s car that we sledded on. It had a pointy "nose" that stuck up a good foot or more on the front and it would hold a bazillion of us. The only problem with it was that it contained more metal than entire cars do now, so it took at least four or five of us to drag it up the hill. Sometimes we'd use the horses to pull it up the hill, but that dug up the snow so badly that we didn't do it very often.

We also had the standard metal-runnered kind of sled, which my dad would pull behind one of the horses. That was really fast, but to hang on and keep the center of gravity low so that it didn't flip, you had to lay down on it - which meant it only took about five minutes before your toes were freezing, then next came your fingers no matter how good your gloves were... just about enough time to be a mile or two from home and you had to just grit out the pain until you could get back there to warm up. Why do I look back on that as fun? Hmmm...

Last edited: