Pretty cool feeling!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
You guys know about the lizards in my yard and I've posted about feeding them before. Today, the big one took food from my fingers....while my phone was ringing next to me on the table, didn't faze him a bit. VERY cool! A few minutes after he finished this pile, he ate the one from my hand. It was pretty cool as i remember reading that Tom used to do it and I never had tried, not patient enough I had thought. This time, I just slowly reached down, picked one up and gave it to him and he took it.....neat!
20230809_160021.jpg

Here's a pic of him looking out and Halfass is under the mat on the right, just sticking his head out. I call him that cause he lost his complete tail......and well.....duh!20230809_165602.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Here she is ;I believe her to be a female 5-lined Skink so Experts, please chime in!

Today I fed her a dozen meal worms, 4 in a row by hand.....she is very fat right now. i haven't fed her by hand since last time I posted here. It was pretty cool that she came out so readily and waited for me to get another, then another, then another! I just moved slowly, not dead, slow....

.....I didn't want to disturb her so the pic is through the door. She is about 10" overall.

So "lizard guys" am I right about her? I've got little actual species knowledge about them.

if you "open in new tab" then click, you'll be able to see her fairly well for ID anyway.
20230817_163232.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks Mark, that's a good site. I've been to different parts of it since we pay for it but hadn't thought to look back!

I'm grooming Kerry to feed her later today....but last time I convinced her to do something, it didn't turn out so well for her so now, she might be a little more reticent to let me connive her into doing it. (BTW-she swears she will never parasail again) LOL.

I have a tripod and want to video her feeding the lizard but it's windy here and they don't like the wind, it makes things move and quick movements don't go over well with them, it seems. We'll see....we have all w/e.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is pretty cool Jeff. Its neat when a wild animal desensitizes enough to accept a gift from you.

May I politely caution you against feeding too many meal worms? They aren't a great food. Too much chitin. One every now and then is fine, but gobs of them all in one meal is a risk I wouldn't take. Crickets or roaches would be a much better alternative. Or even wax worms if the crickets and roaches aren't your thing.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
politely caution you against feeding too many meal worm
I didn't know that about mealworms and don't worry bout being "polite" Tom, I've got thick skin and can handle it.... LOL

I'll have to get something else for them to eat. I tried the freeze dried variety but they seem to prefer the moist fresh ones.

Yes Z, they all start out with the bright blue tails in the Spring.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I got crickets in a can today via the blue truck.....the big lizard knew exactly what I had! LOL. He had a hard time getting a whole one in his mouth so he took it home to munch out.
cool.....