Cooked clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello
My fiance wants to make a hide made out of cooked clay (terracota)to Hermy. Does the clay have to be organic? Because we only found the regular one?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
terra cotta should make a perfect hide. i dont think that you will have to worry about it being organic because i dont think there would be any additives. also, if you're going to bake it, any volatiles in the clay would probably evaporate because of the heat.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa clay in itself has many chemicals in it. But baking it does render it fine for Hermy. I have made my Greeks Ceramic hides and you can even cover the outside with a polyurethane for water protection. But let it day well. :)

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I never even thought about any additives in terracotta. I have two for Ralph, one for water and one for special treats.

It's okay?????

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa clay in itself has many chemicals in it. But baking it does render it fine for Hermy. I have made my Greeks Ceramic hides and you can even cover the outside with a polyurethane for water protection. But let it day well. :)

Thanks for the advice Robyn, the polyurethane is a very good idea :).

DAC8671 said:
I never even thought about any additives in terracotta. I have two for Ralph, one for water and one for special treats.

It's okay?????

I guess it is ok because often, it is already cooked when you buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.