conversation about torts confiscated in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
I stopped at the small pet store near me that specializes in reptiles and was looking at what torts and turtles they had while waiting for my feeder fish and crickets. I ended up talking to a customer who was looking at a sulcata hatchling and also juvenile russians they had for sale. I politely asked if she was aware how large the tiny sulcata would become and she assured me she was and had knowledge of torts.

Anyway the point of this thread.

She said she went to Turkey on a trip and bought 3 WC Mediterranean spurred torts. She paid about $10 each. She got the export permits from Turkey and the import permits for the US, bringing her total to about $50 per tort. She said when she returned home she had to change planes in London. Customs in London held her and requested her CITES paperwork. She said no matter how much she argued she was only changing planes and not remaining in England, it got her no where. She was held at customs until the proper authorities could come and confiscate the torts. She missed her flight and was told she could apply for the proper papers and claim them. She also told if she had changed planes in Rome, no additional paperwork would have been needed.

This made me wonder a few things:

1. What happened to those poor tortoises? She was shopping for torts because she has no intention of returning to that part of the world anytime soon to claim them.

2. Is it reasonable for England to require additional paperwork when she was never even leaving airport security?

I guess a lesson learned. Check every point on your itinerary for the laws and rules if you are shopping for anything that requires import/export permits internationally.

Dawna

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They were most likely taken in by the Tortoise Trust and will be rehomed.
The story about buying tortoises when on vacation and getting paper work while still on vaction sounds very fishy to me. No one gets paperwork that fast. She either went after the paperwork before she went there or had fake paperwork.
I do believe England has the right to use it's laws when animals land on their sovereign territory. England says Testudo graeca needs a permit called an Article 10 to reside for any amount of time in England. I'm sure that's what she was missing and why the tortoises were confiscated. So yes you do need to do your research when your importing and exporting. :D

Danny

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I think she went prepared to get the torts , except that layover in England. She also commented she goes to Turkey once a year and had thought about trying again next year.

Dawna

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Brits will try and keep anything they get their hands on. Just ask America, South Africa, India, and Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.