Confused! Help please (humidity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hi,yesterday I was told my humidity was far to low at 42. I have changed the substrate and it is now 80 but I have just been doing a little research and found some thing that said high humidity can cause shell root and should only be 40 to 45%?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
RE: Confused! Help please

first, what kind and how old is your tort? the amount of humidity depends on that.

if you have a small tort or a tropical tort and as long as you have the correct temp, high humidity is good. it use to be thought that a lot of humidity was bad, but further research shows it helps prevent pyramiding.

i just looked at your profile (duh!) and see you own a Russian! if you're asking for him, and he's older than 2 years, he doesn't need a lot of humidity. 80% may be too much for them but I'm sure the dirt will dry out and it will drop. if say 40%-60% sounds good. the important part is to make sure the dirt never dries out enough to get dusty. it should be damp and you should be able to squeeze it without water dripping out. they dig a lot and the dust will bother him. don't let the enclosure get below 70F with that much humidity.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida

Moisture can "cause" shell-rot and fungus because the bacteria live in the moisture....Realistically, it has no effect. I have kept red foots in swampy, bog-like conditions and had no problem with shell-fungus. The reason is, people associate shell-rot or fungus with humidity because they live in moist conditions...

What kind of tortoise do you have? Thats crucial.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

An adult russian (like in your picture) doesn't need the 80%+ humidity. If you have a hatchling russian, then you want the higher humidity.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

When I first got my Cherry Head I kept every thing wet, even the substrate. She eventually got shell fungus. After that I only kept the hide humid and warm, but the substrate dry. I watered the plants right in their little pots and misted them once a day and also misted the tortoise, when she came out to eat. After almost six years she's very smooth and has not gotten any more shell rot. I raised my other one the same way. I don't know anything about Russian's so can't help you there, but I have found out that Cherry Heads are prone to Shell rot when on a wet substrate all the time.

garon

5 Year Member

Thanks for the help. Yes I have got a Russian I have been told by people on hear she looks about 4/5
So I should the substrate dry out a bit? And try get the humidity to 40 to 60?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Is your tort captive bred?
If your tort is wild caught and bought from a pet store you can't know the age, so its best to go based on their size.
I would say that if your russian is over 6" scl you can have an open top and lower humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I have seen a variety of humidity levels suggested for adult russians. Generally I think 30-50 is fine, but I would offer a humid hide too. This way the tortoise can choose. He can have the benefit of burrow-like humidity, or he can stay dry when he wants to.

garon

5 Year Member

My tortoise is not 6inch it's just under 4 if I measured her right??

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I personally would keep a 4" russian with higher humidity..

However i am specifically in the market for 6"+ adult Russians so that i don't have to maintain a humid environment for another tort (like i do with my leopard)

If you are still unsure which way to go, Tom's idea is a great go between. Lower humidity throughout the enclosure with a humid hide to give your tort an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.